Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
robertquarmby
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

paint colour

Post by robertquarmby »

I have recently purchased a 1970 2 door saloon and I am at a loss to know what the colour is. To my eyes it is a very pale blue but the V5 logbook has it as grey. Having spoken to someone at the Morris Minor Centre he assured me that it was smoke grey and the BMC colour code was BU 15. A trip to a local autopaint shop confirmed BU 15 was smoke grey but also the same code was for smoke grey/blue grey.
I'm totally confused, so I would welcome any advise on what might have been a standard colour in 1970.
Many thanks
Bob
MortisMinor
Minor Friendly

Post by MortisMinor »

http://morrisminoroc.co.uk/index.php?na ... ic&t=14630

theres a colour chart :), note that not all thease coloures are used on moggys

Edit:

OOps, just notcided that only goes up to 1967, will the colour differ too much?
[img]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g283/darkdonkey/DrivingSMily.gif[/img] [img]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g283/darkdonkey/DrivingSmilySkidMark.gif[/img]
HarryMango
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by HarryMango »

Hi Bob

Definately Smoke Grey - I would call it duckegg blue but officially its Smoke Grey which incidently is the commonest Minor colour i.e. more Minors were painted Smoke Grey than any other colour.

Rog
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

I think you'll find that there is BU 15 and BU 15A. :D Maybe that the "A" paint code related to the later cars.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
markc
Minor Friendly

Post by markc »

Regaliaqueen is near enough,from memory from mixing the paint, BU 15A is bluer to look at than BU 15.I have 15 A on my 1970 smoke grey.
Take it to a motor factors they will check it with a colour chip,but it sounds like we have the same colour cars. :lol:
[sig]8029[/sig]
robertquarmby
Minor Friendly

Post by robertquarmby »

Many thanks for the info but unfortunately the colour chart dosn't help. The auto paint shop I went to had the British Leyland paint colours and the nearest was the smoke grey/blue grey. What I want to know is whether this was a standard colour for Moggies? Also can anybody tell me what colour the wheels should be and the pin striping on the bonnet, doors and rear quarter panels.
Thanks
Bob
MGFmad
Minor Fan

Post by MGFmad »

If it is smoke grey and like mine was, the colour was very faded. Try T-cutting an area first then matching the colour chips. IIRC a 1970 smoke grey car should have silver wheels (as should my 68 Traveller although I prefer old English white) and a dark blue pin stripe.

I went for the BU15 code, perhaps a touch darker than my original but thats what I wanted.
[sig]8143[/sig]
markc
Minor Friendly

Post by markc »

Thats the colour,Bob.Smoke grey/blue grey,take your car to a factors as paint may need tinting due to weathering.The wheels should be silver but mine are old English white.
[sig]8029[/sig]
robertquarmby
Minor Friendly

paint colour

Post by robertquarmby »

Many thanks for the info. My wheels are smoke grey/blue grey but the grill is old english white so I think I'll get the wheels changed to the same.
Regards
Bob