Painting your classic

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
katiekat
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by katiekat »

mckenzie wrote:That looks very good for your first attempt WELL DONE, has given me the urge to have a go myself
Well done again
Tony
Thanks, that's kind of you.
[sig]9631[/sig]
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

well i wasnt saying anything about a rolls royce finish, but any paying customer would expect a good finish that is shiny and they can just polish

i know you pays your money and takes your choice, but paying customers are paying customers

most customers will not be friends like we are on here
and at some point thge public will be the paying customers

unless kate is going to work for next to nothing, then its not viable as a buiseness :) :) :)
katiekat
Minor Fan

Post by katiekat »

You can just pay me in biscuits!
[sig]9631[/sig]
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

well in that case then you can my other one when i get it :D :D :D and i make a very good home made chip butty :D :D
katiekat
Minor Fan

Post by katiekat »

For a chip butty you will get a free valet!
[sig]9631[/sig]
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

now how can i refuse that offer

but then there will be 2 to valet, my white one as well :D
ani
Minor Addict

Post by ani »

jonathon wrote:
ani wrote:I'll make a great big plastic bubble for Katie to work in and fix up a cold air blower in one end and a hover at the other - that should do the trick :lol: :lol:

I will of course provide the bacon sandwiches and chocolate hob-nobs :D and a spare room with a big cooked breakfast every day.

Blimey I'll come down and spray it if they are the terms :lol:
You and Katie can come down together - get it done in half the time and by the sound of it twice the fun :lol: :lol:

and of course Dennis can join in with the chip butties :lol:

jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

:lol: priceless :lol:

aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

:D :D DEAL OR NO DEAL :D :D
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

i'm becoming extremely suspicious of you katiekat,I don't think you are who or as inexpirienced as you are making out to be.You've been repairing cars and painting them for years ,your words, yet you have asked some of the most basic questiones about cars and paint,don't believe you i'm aftraid.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

i'm becoming extremely suspicious of you katiekat,I don't think you are who you are or as inexpirienced as you are making out to be.You've been repairing cars and painting them for years ,your words, yet you have asked some of the most basic questions about cars and paint,don't believe you i'm aftraid.There was once a guy on the scimitar forum who was a qualified mechanic who was just playing about asking daft questions which he knew the answer to,come on come clean,anyone who can spray a bonnet,to that standard,although no way near professional standard,at the first attempt,has either done it before or is extremely lucky or skilful.
ani
Minor Addict

Post by ani »

I can just imagine everyone waiting with baited breath for Katie's response .................................... shame and this thread had provided much entertainment for this evening :roll:

katiekat
Minor Fan

Post by katiekat »

I find that question hilarious!

I have had four beetles that were mostly full of rust and holes, so I gradually learnt how to use bodyfiller. I learnt how to spray by using aerosols from Halfords. Using these aerosols is really difficult but I've had lots of practice. Even each aerosol seems to paint differently, even if you buy exactly the same colour etc. You have to adapt your technique all the time. This experience helped me so much today.

I'm a 41 year old woman with arthritis and plantar fasciitis (foot problem). I just like classic cars!

I know you are local Kennatt so I can bring Bertie to your place if you like and you'll see I'm no fraud!

Is this a sexist thing? I really hope not!
[sig]9631[/sig]
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

well i will still make the chip butties then :D :D :D
MGFmad
Minor Fan

Post by MGFmad »

Your paint job is looking good there Katiekat. Like you I had plenty of experience with aerosols before starting with spray guns and compressors.

If you find the end finish is not as perfect as you would like, sand the paint using 1500 grade wet/dry paper used wet in some soapy water. Then apply a cutting compound (Farecla G3) preferably with a machine and compounding mop but you can do a small area by hand. This gives a great smooth finish.
[sig]8143[/sig]
ani
Minor Addict

Post by ani »

katiekat wrote:I find that question hilarious!

I'm a 41 year old woman with arthritis and plantar fasciitis (foot problem). I just like classic cars!

Is this a sexist thing? I really hope not!
Phew - thank goodness for that :lol: :lol: I'm even older than you are and I like getting involved as much as I can. I don't believe any of this is sexist - I've had really good feedback from most men!! However it is, of course, still a male dominated area :roll: :roll: But we can change all that - perhaps we should start up in business together :D :D

kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

no offence intended katie,was just supprised that you could get that sort of finish at your first attempt at spraying paint cos mine,I can just remember it was an absolute mess and it took me me ages to strip it off and start again,the second wans'nt much better.Good for you keep at it,
katiekat
Minor Fan

Post by katiekat »

No offence taken. Practicing with aerosols is good training! My job is actually being teacher of IT and maths (11-18 year olds).

It would be nice if there were more women on the forum. Me and Ani could set up a women friendly garage, where women don't get looked at like they are aliens when they want their car sorting!
[sig]9631[/sig]
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

cheers katie,by the way did you ever sort out the heavy clutch if no open the original post and i'll explain how I made mine 50% lighter for my daughter,involves welding an extention on the mechanism.
katiekat
Minor Fan

Post by katiekat »

The clutch on my first moggie doesn't seem to bad now. I think the spring has loosened a bit. The spraying is going alright but got some paint runs today due to using a bit too much thinner. Here is the latest pic:

:wink: <br>Image<br>
[sig]9631[/sig]