traveller pick up conversion

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
robertkemp
MMOC Member: No

traveller pick up conversion

Post by robertkemp »

so im becoming a metalworker, blacksmith,welder, panel shaper etc.
and ive seen a couple of pickup conversions around, some which use the original pickup cab back then a fabricated bed. others with wooden backs.

im guessing that the traveller must have a chassis similar to the lcv pickup etc.

is this actually a safe and viable conversion. As pickups cost the earth but a rotten traveller does not. have many of these conversions been done and if so what are they like im kind of thinking creating one similar to franks pickup http://www.freewebs.com/franksminors/19 ... pickup.htm
are cab back very rare im guessing so any ideas if it would actually work.
don58van
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by don58van »

Hi Robert from down here in Oz.

I can help you with one bit of information:

The Trav does NOT have a separate chassis like the LCVs. It is based on the two-door platform which is a unitary design.

I suppose if your tray or well-side structure was carefully engineered, it could restore the stiffness to the structure that would have been lost through removing the rear Trav superstructure.

I don't know whether it has been done. I suppose someone will be along shortly to tell us.

Cheers
Don
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Eric - 1971 Traveller
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes - The Traveller does NOT have a chassis - and it's very 'flexible' even with all the timber in place! So - if you do this conversion be prepared to add-on effectively a chassis under the remains of the bodyshell.
ImageImage
dunketh
Minor Legend

Post by dunketh »

Conversely - has anyone built a trav on a chassis?

Effectively the same conversion only backwards.
I recon that would be a good stiff car with none of this uni-body/monocoque nonsense to worry about.
What would Macgyver do..?
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

First things first. The question that I think many want answered is: Does the pickup cab panel bolt directly to the cab of a traveller? If seen the traveller roof panel bolted to a van cab but have no idea if new holes were needed, but the curvature look like a match. Once you get below the window sill I'm sure the contour is much different so would it be a stay alone cab or attached to the box as originally done? The extra 6 inches that the doors would provide would make a nice roomy pickup.
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

AFA ICS, the rearpanel would bolt to the roof - I could check tomorrow, have both. The prob would be the lower half - I was idly planning out fabbing a combination of Trav (to make the doors fit) and 4 door/p-up/van (to make the cab back fit) pillars
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

dunketh wrote:Conversely - has anyone built a trav on a chassis?

Effectively the same conversion only backwards.
I recon that would be a good stiff car with none of this uni-body/monocoque nonsense to worry about.
You'd run into various probs at the front, where the Trav body 'steps' and the chassis is straight. Not insurmountable. but not simple
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

The cut and blend lines need to be all in the floor area - easiest to fab. The traveller would donate the entire door frame with rear post and roof along with the top part of the side rail. The bottom of the side rail past the crossmember would have to be fabricated. Use all LCV floor panels and then extend then or extend on top of the end of cab crossmember. With all of the replacement pieces available a real nice custom could be made if one had the funds to do so.

Anybody want to build me an all metal traveller using a straightened 2 door rear body? Better yet pay me while I do it? A man's got to have his dreams.
FrankM83
Minor Legend

Post by FrankM83 »

jaekl wrote:First things first. The question that I think many want answered is: Does the pickup cab panel bolt directly to the cab of a traveller? If seen the traveller roof panel bolted to a van cab but have no idea if new holes were needed, but the curvature look like a match. Once you get below the window sill I'm sure the contour is much different so would it be a stay alone cab or attached to the box as originally done? The extra 6 inches that the doors would provide would make a nice roomy pickup.
I have a pick-up which was a traveller the top parts is bolted on will try and take some pics for you