Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
youngun
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Clarendon grey paint code

Post by youngun »

Does anyone know the colour code for Clarendon grey, as I need to order some (cellulose) soon to do the engine bay.
Also can someone recommend a decent cellulose supplier?

thanks,
YG
Ultimate rust cure for your moggy....paint it brown, at least that way you dont notice the rust as much!!
8009STEVE
Minor Legend

Post by 8009STEVE »

recommend a decent cellulose supplier
We have a good one in Yeovil.
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Paint code is GR6

Eric - 1971 Traveller
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The paint code for Clarendon Grey, 1952-59 is BMC = GR6, ICI = 2508.
The problem is not the paint code but the fact that a lot of the formulae have been lost. The nearest solution is often to match the new paint in to a sheltered section of old paint somewhere under the bonnet or behind the dash.
I believe that ICI sold off all their paint formulae to a firm in Stoke on Trent
[sig]3580[/sig]
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

I got mine from here

http://www.paints4u.com/

Search for BLGR6, manufacturer "Rover" and you do get it in cellulose. It's quite a good match too. It was delivered the next day and according to my dad (who sprayed the car), it was a good quality paint to apply.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

I saw my traveller today after its full respray in clarendon gray, its looks amazing and will be coming home tomorrow!!! The guy who painted it in 2pack told me to pick from PPG commercial shade cards as these are readily available. The code used was eft74200 which apparently is a commercial ford colour called azure gruen. I will post some pictures tomorrow night.

Too many Minors so little time.....
youngun
Minor Addict

Post by youngun »

Brilliant, thanks for the help everyone!

Couple more questions. What primer should I use on the bare metal? Etch or zinc rich?
Also, Im only spraying the engine bay at the moment so will 1ltr of topcoat and 1ltr of primer be enough?

YG
Ultimate rust cure for your moggy....paint it brown, at least that way you dont notice the rust as much!!
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

I used normal cellulose primer or cellulose primer filler to get in those slight imperfections. ;) Re-quantity, it's up to you, depends how long it'll be before you spray the rest of the car... like buying wallpaper it might be better to get the lot from the same batch. If it's going to be a while... the paint might go off so only get 500ml for the engine bay.
My Minor:
MMOC - 66535

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

If you can afford the slight extra cost I'd buy etch primer if you're covering bare metal.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
youngun
Minor Addict

Post by youngun »

So etch primer, a layer of filler primer, and then top coat.

Looks like I need to get some ordering done!
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Don't forget some disposable masks for your face :wink:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Get lots of disposable gloves... flatting with wet and dry is very mucky and hard to get off the hands.

I used 1200 grade wet to flat the primer (if needed). 800 grade wet to remove and flat any rusty panels prior to treatment.

Get some Cellulose Antibloom thinners for spraying (5 litres), normal thinners for gunwash to clean your equipement and some "panel wipe" to get rid of any grease before spraying.

Oh yes and lots of clean rags!!! You don't want to be wiping panel wipe on with dirty wrag. :lol:
My Minor:
MMOC - 66535

youngun
Minor Addict

Post by youngun »

Oh what larks there are to come! Watch for an update!

YG
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Clarendon grey paint code

Post by jagnut66 »

The code used was eft74200 which apparently is a commercial ford colour called azure gruen
I will post some pictures tomorrow night.
Hi,
Resurrecting an old post here but I now need to buy some 2 pack Clarendon Grey for Sally.
However I'm struggling to find a supplier online which recognises the colour and was hoping, if you are still happy with the colour match, that you could post up a link to your supplier?
Or if anyone else knows where I can get some?...........
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: Clarendon grey paint code

Post by ManyMinors »

Mike. Google Ken and Lynn paints. I don't have their phone number to hand. I have used them myself. Excellent quality paints and thinners. Great service and reasonable prices. Don't buy cheap material off the internet.
As stated earlier - the original BMC code is GR.6.