Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Benjy
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Parcel Shelf Colour

Post by Benjy »

My '64 Traveller's parcel shelf is looking a little tatty, so I started looking for a replacement (while the heater's out for a service).

Looking through various suppliers, the mid parcel shelf (with holes for heater pipes) is only available it black, but mine is cream. Am I looking at the wrong thing, or were there just a glut of black ones and that's all that is left?

Ben
Gareth
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Gareth »

The bits are only available in black...

The shelf itself comes in black, possibly from the factory, but I don't know. Phyllis is the same vintage, and hers was black when I had her, but over forty years...? Anyhow.

The padding comes in black, but ask Newton Commercial nicely, and I'm sure they could sort some beige for you - they did with me.

The middle heater fascia for the roundyroundy heater thing ( :lol: technical, eh?) comes in black. You could try painting it, but I covered mine with the beige headlining material to match everything else.

Looks the part, no?
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Our saloon also originally (or when we bought it) had a white parcel shelf,but the leaks from the old windscreen rubber made short work of it :( so later when we took it to a garage to get some welding etc done they decided it looked tatty and chucked it out and we had to ask them to give us one back again- which they did,only it was a black one)
Our car is a 63/64 deluxe model, could it possibly have been some of the deluxe cars had cream shelves? (which look nice as it matches with the cream of the duotone seat covers) :D

I wondered whether you could just use Old English white and spray paint the black ones, might not look entirely the same but would be quite good. (and the paint might make the cardboard less likely to go mouldy from water getting in :lol: ).
Benjy
Minor Fan

Post by Benjy »

Oh err... Gareth, that parcel shelf looks nothing like mine! Mine's just flat with holes cut for the steering wheel and two for air pipes, one each side of the heater.

The car is a delux model with red / cream seats, so you may have something there about delux cars having matching shelves. That might also explain why there are only black ones left, as I guess there were fewer delux cars built.

It looks like the shelf has already been repaired once with masking tape (!), but if it's going to be hard to get a new one, I might try taking it out and fixing it properly with some board underneath or something. Failing that, paint it is!

Thanks

Ben
Gareth
Minor Legend

Post by Gareth »

Sounds like it has a 1098 shelf in it for some reason... Which heater does it have?

Shame they don't make the cream ones, but hey, the black goes nicely with the rest of Phyllis. ;)
Happy Minoring!

Benjy
Minor Fan

Post by Benjy »

Maxlee, they're the ones, Gareth the car has the Smiths fresh air heater (square front with lever to adjust air direction). So should I be looking for a late parcel shelf then? Not that they are available in cream either, grrrrrr...
Gareth
Minor Legend

Post by Gareth »

Yup, you want the later 1098cc parcelshelf. I think they are sometimes cheaper than the others, so it's not too bad a trade-off.
Happy Minoring!

Willie
Minor Legend

ducting

Post by Willie »

Newton Commercial make these ducts and shelves so I would
be surprised, as Gareth said, if they do not supply the correct
original colours. The original colour for the heater shroud and
the parcel shelf padded roll was Pearl Grey, this was later changed
to Light Biege(1961). Enquire on 01728 832880
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
MrA.Series
Minor Fan
Location: Cambridge in term, otherwise Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire

Post by MrA.Series »

Damn! I just chucked out an original cream parcel shelf for a delux model I stripped down, was a bit tatty though, so I suppose it was a mercy killing. I think I still have the cream pad cover with rubber pad somewhere in quite good nick, no rips, just indents from where cable ties were used to secure the shelf at one time.
Boris: 1968 2-Door Saloon
[img]http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/76758/Morris%20Minor/BorisThumbnail.JPG[/img]
(In background is Pixie: 1968 2-Door Saloon)