Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
tortron
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Dark brown interior paint

Post by tortron »

wanting to redo the interior bits and pieces of my 51 (so painted rather than nickel plated)
Including the steering column, screen centre strip, parcel tray metal and hand brake.

does anyone know the colour match? or will it be a case of taking a sample in to be reproduced
Scott
Minor Addict

Post by Scott »

I took a sample in & had it matched. The closest standard colour was from an old Suzuki 4wd. I have the tin still but I'm not sure if the name on it is still readable after 20 odd years.
Scott

[url=http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/523/bo16vy.jpg]1948 Series MM[/url]
[url=http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/2484/dcp001046qp.jpg]1962 1000[/url]
[url=http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/9625/19705bp.jpg]1970 1000[/url]
[url=http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7259/nullabor25ns.jpg]1959 Van[/url]

[url=http://www.morrisdownunder.com/forum/index.php]Aussie Forum[/url]
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Car Paints Plus, Glamorgan, S.Wales do the correct "Dashboard Gold",
Tel 01656 667822 (corrected phone no.)
Last edited by mike.perry on Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
[sig]3580[/sig]
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

mike are you sure about the phone number, is it by any chance an old one?

I know of a company called "car paints plus" in bridgend (which was in glamorgan until glamorgan was "reorganised" in the mid 90's) the phone number for the company is 01656 667822.. I can recommend them as this is where my dad got the paint for his MO dash board.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

That was the number I rang a couple of months ago to check the availability. Yes Bridgend Ind. Est. David St. Bridgend.
[sig]3580[/sig]
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

bridgend code is 01656 no idea where the 01562 code is but if it works it works
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The original thread was on the MM website May 8th 2008. Not sure where I got the phone no. from.
Just checked I have the wrong phone no. I will correct the original posting. Thanks
[sig]3580[/sig]
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

no probs mike, if you want to get some paint, let me know as my parents are coming up for Christmas and could bring it up with them.. and we could pop over to reading in the new year and meet up
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

That sounds like a good idea. I might as well paint the glove box lid and inst. panel whilst the car is off the road.
[sig]3580[/sig]
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IaininTenbury »

So has anyone found a good match for the interior brown then? I did a steering wheel boss using Humbrol modelling paints once, by mixing brown with black to get the dark brown, but you'd need a larger quantity than that for doing screen pillar, parcel shelf and steering column etc
I'm guessing Jaguar Carraige brown might be close, but thats just from memory of an XJ12 I did some work on once... ( may not be dark enough thinking about it more).

For glove box lid gold, I had some mixed up from a sample which really looks the part. Its an odd shade that I've never seen a good match for on a car body colour. Sadly after quite a few dashboards the 1/2 litre can is nearly empty so back to square one now...
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Dashboard Gold is in fact a brownish colour. From the photos in various books the steering wheel boss, column and the parcel shelf appear to be the same colour as the glove box lid.
[sig]3580[/sig]
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

certainly everything in the MO is a gold colour ( well it is now after my dad painted it all ) but before that it did look a gold / brown colour.

having just seen this link in the MM section i have hijakced the pictures...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33263274@N03/page2/

looking at pict0033 that is certainly the same colour gold as the MO dash
tortron
Minor Fan

Post by tortron »

here are a few photos of my interior before i painted

The interior was all original paint. The brown paint is similar in colour to the starter, choke and lights knobs
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

ah! not talking the same thing here.. i am talking the gold paint on the panel around the clock not the brown of the knobs..
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Thought I would put my two penneth in!
I bought the 'Gold' paint from ESM and I thought it was close to a Toyota colour. Any way I did the instrument side, glovebox lid and the parcel shelf (both sides)
At a later date I wanted to repaint the ignition panel, my dial panel, the switch panel underneath and the steering column and support but I didn't have enough paint. I took the glovebox lid all over the place to try and find a match (even bought a couple) but nothing was close enough - couldn't find the Toyota one.
Had an argument with Halfords because there one sprayed was NOTHING like the lid.
I ended up have a 400ml tin mixed at my local paint supplier which considering the different paints are next to each other match well (better in real life than the photo)
Both the paints I used require a laquer.

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I have ordered a tin and aerosol can from Car Paints Plus. I will post some photos when I have sprayed the glovebox lid and inst. panel.
[sig]3580[/sig]
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Got some pics of the dark brown bits on my '49 MM. Tatty but a good sample for matching the colour. Noticable that the steering wheel boss is a different shade of brown to the rest of it - being a bought in item from an outside supplier.
ImageImage
And the various shades of gold - the two bought in items; the steering wheel and the heater, and the factory applied gold on the steering column. (These items from a '53 Series 2). Not sure what date the brown parts became gold, I guess its in the referance books if you look.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

alanworland wrote:.

WOW!! Is that steering wheel rim original? What a BEAUTIFUL bit of figuring, absolutely stunning! Thanks for the piccy :D
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Yes, I thought that too. One of the nicest ones I've seen. Normally they're either a much lighter beige or a grey colour, but thats a lovely rich warm colour.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

h20_mako
Minor Fan

Post by h20_mako »

that is a really nice wheel.

A good gold paint would be from here http://www.hatopaint.com/standard/produ ... nt-en.html
Jason
[sig]9869[/sig]