Adjusting Traveller Rear Doors

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
AnnieBruckner
MMOC Member: No

Adjusting Traveller Rear Doors

Post by AnnieBruckner »

I have recently bought a 1970 traveller with good wood, but the rear doors dont seem to fit properly. They close very tight on each other and the handle is difficult to operate. I have tried adjusting at the hinges, but their seems to be no movement. I am considering sanding down the drivers side door to acheive a better fit. Is the the best/only option or can someone help?
Alec
Minor Legend

Re: Adjusting Traveller Rear Doors

Post by Alec »

Hello Annie,

I don't think there is any scope for adjustment and if it is tight purely at the centre, then removal of wood until it is free is probably the best option.
Sanding it will be very time consuming I would think, a small plane would probably be better, especially as the doors overlap which complicates matters.
It will need revarnishing, of course, so the wood doesn't absorb too much moisture and swell up.

Alec
bluemoggie1970
Minor Fan

Post by bluemoggie1970 »

Hi,

I've actually got exactly the same problem with my 1970 traveller, it makes it a nightmare to close doesn't it!!??
I'm hoping the better weather will help, but I'm gonna be planing my doors slightly though to give them a bit of room!

Hope you get it sorted, let me know if you do.

Luke

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Best to keep the doors tight - helps to stop them rattling. Normal way to close them is to bring them together - interlock the edges - and then push them closed.
ImageImage
newagetraveller
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by newagetraveller »

There should be room for adjustment. However at this time of the year if the wood is not varnished all over then it will absorb water and swell up. It will probably swell up somewhat at this time of the year anyway.

Loosen all sixteen nuts. Open the doors and then shut them with a thin strip of something (?) in the gap between them to force them apart. Tighten the nuts up again. If you then take the strip of whatever away the doors should then shut with a gap between them.
Blodwin
Minor Friendly

Post by Blodwin »

I had the same problem with mine. What I did was to fit a bolt to the upper part of the O/S door and the plane the N/S door edge till it closed correctly. I left about a 2,0mm gap between the doors to alow for any expansion through damp.
This resulted ii well fitting doors and no rattles. :D