fitting van doors

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bobbarr
MMOC Member: No

fitting van doors

Post by bobbarr »

Does any one have experience fitting doors on a van. I am restoring one and the rear doors are not fitting very well. And I cant find any method to adjust the fit. Any suggestions. Also having trouble refitting th hood . Any help will be appreciated thanks Bob Barr
FrankM83
Minor Legend

Re: fitting van doors

Post by FrankM83 »

hi there and welcome!! I did this you have to adjust but unscrewing the bolts on the hinges! You will need help to do this!! lots of fiddling what I did, if I remember well secured the hinges the unscrewed the bolts on the hinges and we tried adjusting the doors then when the doors were at a good place I tightened the nuts again!

The nuts I'm refering to are the nuts holding the hinge in one piece! there is a ball "joint" between the top part of the hinge and the bottom part I had to buy this as the old nuts didn't want to come off and so cut them!

http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/pro ... 41b3e09d13

mixtboy
Minor Friendly

Post by mixtboy »

did either of you sort this out? i have a '69 van and my driver's side rear door sags a bit... and rests on the valance down underneath, causing stress on it. the lower hinge appears to be separating a bit in the middle, so the brass ball bit inside is visible. i am not sure if i'm supposed to tighten it or loosen it or do both to that and the upper one??? help!
bobbarr

Post by bobbarr »

Sorry it took me so long to respond to this. I did finally mostly sort it out. I actually used some new SAE bolts to mount through the body after rebuilding and tightening the hinges. The SAE bolts are very slightly smaller which gives a bit of adjustment on all of the hinges. In my case enough to compensate for whtever "out of square issues I had. I also chromed the hinges themselves which was a very nice effect and olso added enough material to bring the hinges back to "as new" specs[frame]Image[/frame]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Assuming the 'ball hinges' are similar to Traveller door hinges - I lifted my doors by putting a nylon washer under the balls - can't be seen and lifts the door nicely. Can also add another one on top of the ball if necessary.
ImageImage
Quendil
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Quendil »

I just use thicker rubber seals but then I use the van for all sorts so its not pristine