Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sidney'61
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Panel gap nightmare!!

Post by Sidney'61 »

I've spent the last few days trying to get the doors and wings to line up with each other (2-door) and I just can't get the gaps right, if I have the front panel lined up I find that I can't open the doors as the wings overlap them! What is the best technique for trying to get them to fit?

Thanks
PS. I think the wings are the original ones.
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

taupe
Minor Legend

Re: Panel gap nightmare!!

Post by taupe »

Hi

It depends on what has changed since it was last together.!!

There is not much adjustment on the doors so start with those. Aim for an even gap to the B post and keep the waist line level.

Theres quite a bit if adjustment in the wings. start with an ideal gap at the rear if you can and then adjust the front panel to suit.

In practice you may need to compromise on each of the above to get it all to fit - otherwise its out with the hammer or angle grinder!
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Thanks Taupe,
I managed to just about get the doors straight with even gaps before I tried to fit the wings, the main problem I'm having is the no matter what position I put the wing on I can't get a vertical back edge! If the top of the wing is in the correct position the bottom creeps diagonally across the door :o

Having said that I've just had a rumage through my archives and found a photo of how it fitted before I took it apart :o Looks like I have no hope!![frame]Image[/frame]
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

Hi

Sometimes you can loose a few mm by pulling out the wheelarch at the top.. If this is not enough then a drastic way is to dart the back of the wing!!
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Hi
The fixing bolts have a retaining washer under the head to spread the load on the wing ( yeah, we know that, blah blah ) but can you recall any spacer washers between the body and the wing when the wing was removed ?

Might be worth popping a few in, on the bottom rear edge, to see if you can get the extra few milimetres you require.
As Taupe says it's all about compromise on all the gaps to achieve the best fit.

Bob
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Another method of correcting the gap between the bottom of the wing and door is to use a couple of filed down washers under the lower wing fixing bolts.

Take one of the wing washers and using either a grinder or bench grinder, cut or grind down one part of the wing washer so that instead of a circular washer - you now have a washer with about 1/3 missing, the missing 1/3 leaving a straight edge if you know what I mean! Align the flat edge of the washer against the inside vertical rear part of the wing and the curved edge towards the wheel when you tighten up the lower wing bolts and this will give you the fractions of an inch needed to get an even gap between the wing and door.

There is usually enough movement/flex in the wing to accomodate this.

I will try and post a picture if I get time later today.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Well Andy hows the lining up coming along?

Too many Minors so little time.....
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Having remembered that the car must have had a nasty crash at some point enough to cause the engine mounts to need to be moved over I can assume that the inner wings are not quite in the correct position and that the wings are not original![frame]Image[/frame]

The only way I've managed to get the back edge of the wings straight is to pull them out at the front so that the front holes don't quite line up with the hockeysticks, It's going to be a bit of a bodge but hopefully it won't be noticable!

Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

It may be worth the exercise in finding out where exactly is the source of the problem. You think it maybe the inner wing? Is it therefore a different length to the other side? Is the wing actually longer than it should be? If the inner wing is shorter, have you thought about packing out the front grill with a washer or two on the one side? In effect you will be bringing the front of the car back square again.

If it's any consolation, I have a short wing,so unfortunately I have to live with a slightly wider door to wing gap. Don't be afraid to do some hard pulling and pushing of panels while nipping the bolts up to try and get that better fit.

If you are spraying your front panel and wing, I put some wing beading in between my front grill and wing, to stop the front grill scratching any paint off the wings while fitting. You can't see it hidden neatly behind the hockey sticks when you look from above.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

newagetraveller
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by newagetraveller »

Are the door hinges worn ?

If you take hold of the door handle end of the door can you move the door up and down?
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

but we will know the bodge you have just told us haha
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

Like all best kept secrets, everyone knows :D But as long as it looks fine... who cares? :lol:
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Sidney'61 wrote:Having remembered that the car must have had a nasty crash at some point enough to cause the engine mounts to need to be moved over I can assume that the inner wings are not quite in the correct position and that the wings are not original!-snip-

The only way I've managed to get the back edge of the wings straight is to pull them out at the front so that the front holes don't quite line up with the hockeysticks, It's going to be a bit of a bodge but hopefully it won't be noticable!
No need to do that Sydney, just use 1/3 cut down washers behind the lower wing bolts and you should be able to line up the hockey stick holes and also get an even gap between the door and rear edge of the wing!
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage