Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rustbucket
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

windscreen insert

Post by rustbucket »

has anyone refittted the metal 2 piece insert into the windscreen rubber?
and if so how?
"i'll be in in a bit dear. leave me tea on the table"
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Re: windscreen insert

Post by mike.perry »

Are you talking about the later split screen surround as fitted to the Series 11?
The method depends on the condition of the trim and the windscreen rubber.
[sig]3580[/sig]
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

It also depends if you are trying to fit an original trim into a new rubber, ie it won't fit. You need the modern plastic flexi trim due to the rubber section being different....
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
dalemidori

Post by dalemidori »

Does this apply to fitting the original metal into new replacement split screen
rubber? I'm hoping to use the original metal locking strip with the split screen
rubber sold to me by ESM Spares a couple of years ago for my '52 series MM 2-door.

Thanks,
Dale
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

If you mean fitting the original 2 piece metal surrounds for the Ser II then yes they do fit the new rubbers but are a pig to fit.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
rustbucket
Minor Friendly

Post by rustbucket »

66 2dr saloon. ive inserted a photo. if you zoom in you can see the metal clip at the top and bottom. i took it out for the strip down and would you believe it i threw it out with a load of rusty bits. doh! any way i managed to locate another and a rubber but have no idea how to re fit. ive put the plastic chrome ones in before but never one like this. :(
[http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx34 ... /ol023.jpg]
rustbucket
Minor Friendly

Post by rustbucket »

oops!
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

The rubbers produced by the suppliers will only take the plastic insert. We restored my convertible over this summer and she originally had the metal windscreen surrounds. I was informed by various morris suppliers that they simply do not fit the rubbers produced now I'm afraid, so I had to fit the plastic insert. There is a tool available to fit the plastic insert (Ebay) which you insert into the opening in the black rubber. The plastic chrome strip slides through the tool (you need a load of washing up liquid to lubricate it) Start centre front bottom go all round window ending to meet. (This will need trimming with a v. sharp knife.) Place the metal cover over the join.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
M_Temple
Minor Friendly

Post by M_Temple »

I beg to differ - it is possible to fit the original two piece metal strips to the 'old style' windscreen rubbers. I posted the following as a 'review' to the part (EXT 103) when I first figured out a way to do it 2 years ago.

Have successfully refitted the metal insert. First off apply lots of silicone lubricant to the grooves in the screen rubber. Starting at one side slide the top horizontal section into the deeper groove about 2". Then do the same at the bottom, then back to the top for another 1", then the bottom for 1", and so one until the metal insert lines up with the vertical section of the screen rubber. I used the right angle tool from the Frost Restorations 'Hook and Pick'set (Part no. J150) to work the groove in the rubber open and into the recess in the metal insert while I worked round and down from the top corner. A spare pair of hands with a small block of wood or rubber to keep the insert in the groove is a great help as you work down. Now do the other side and fit joining pieces in the middle top and bottom. Overall took me 30mins.

Not my favourite job, and easier to show than describe, but the end result is worth it - original look on a new rubber.

Done it again more recently, and about to do it again on a 59 convertible. Happy to do it for anyone free gratis if they can be bothered to come to me (near Dorking/Gatwick). Also if anyone has a spare set of metal inserts in good condition I might be interested as I seem to have stored the ones from the convertible in that famous 'safe place'

Mick
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

That's possible if you have the original windscrren rubber. Reading the original post it would appear that the car has been restored and the poster is asking if the original metal strip will fit a new replacement rubber to which there have been several replies saying this is not possible.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

from memory the split screens have only one groove round the outside of the rubber and once in ,the the strip is held against the inner side of the rubber by the outer lip,they are a pig to fit and usually need bonding onto the rubbers at the corners,and wherever else they lift up.If you find a secondhand one(Thats all that is available unless someone has remanufactured )Make sure that it is flat and that there are no kinks in it because if there are it will not fit,and keep popping out of the rubber.thats why a lot of the ser 11 you see have no strip,its not a sealing strip just cosmetic.I fitted mine by using plenty of lubrication and sliding both the top and bottom into the grooveand then spent hours getting the sides in,GODD LUCk ,if its a splitscreen you'll need it ,later ones are easy if you buy the correct tool as as stated above
M_Temple
Minor Friendly

Post by M_Temple »

Sorry just to be clear both the ones I fitted were to replacement windscreen rubbers bought from ESM/Bull Motif. Never been able to get a screen out without cutting the original rubber myself.

Not saying it's easy, just it can be done.

Mick
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

The two piece metal inserts should normally be fitted into the rubber with the glass before the screen is replaced in the car.

It is probably possible to squeeze it in after fitting the windscreen if well lubricated but its quite likely to get distorted or twisted.

The two metal clips should be possible to fit by peeling back the rubber and sliding onto one end then centralising. Will need lots of lubrication as above.
M_Temple
Minor Friendly

Post by M_Temple »

What's with all this confusion and denial - it is possible to fit the original metal inserts to new windscreen rubbers (EXT103) after the rubbers have been fitted to the car. I have done it twice using the method described above and will shortly do it again. It is not easy, but nor is it impossible. Patience, a pick tool. a block of wood, lots of silicon lubricant and half an hour is all that's needed.

oh, and I found the 'safe place' so no need for the metal inserts

Mick
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IaininTenbury »

Reading through these posts it looks like a bit of confusion about which trims and rubbers we'e talking about.

According to ESMs website all three types of windscreen rubber are available. Series 2 splitscreen, early 1000 (for the stainless steel insert) and late 1000 with the plastic insert.
The chrome on brass Series 2 trims are like rocking horse droppings, whereas the Minor 1000 stainless ones are reasonably available, albeit s/h only. Late type plastic ones you just buy new...

The stainless steel ones are correct up till sometime inthe mid sixties, so rustbuckets car will be correct. Not sure of the date of change but would guess 66-67 around the same time sealed beam headlamps arrived possibly.

I've never had to fit a stainless trim (obviously you have to have the correct rubber or it wont work) but had read that you're supposed to fit it to the rubber before you put the screen in. As my van is without its trim, I was quite interested to read M Temple's way of fitting it in situ and I'll be giving it ago. If I recall correctly the stainless trim has a little lip on the edge that goes into the rubber to presumably make them stay in better than the Series 2 ones which don't. Looks like it makes it more difficult to fit too, but I'll find out.

On the longevity front, the stainless steel ones last forever (well so far so good anyway!) whereas the plastic ones seem to go manky and dull after so many years, easpecially on a car that lives outside, so worth sticking with the stainles steel ones if you can.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
Willie
Minor Legend

Post by Willie »

I watched a professional fit a new screen to my '57 convertible and he assembled the rubber,the stainless trim, and the glass together completely before fitting the whole assembly to the car! I don't know if the same would apply to a replacement rubber.
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Crikey! A Blast from the Past!! Welcome back Willie - over two years missing........... :o
ImageImage
M_Temple
Minor Friendly

Post by M_Temple »

Just to complete the story have just fitted the inserts again - this time to the '59 convertible I'm restoring. Got the correct windscreen rubber from Bull Motif and fitted as described in my earlier post - i.e., install the screen and rubber as usual. Then apply sealer into the gap between rubber and windscreen surround, then install the inserts. A blunt screwdriver, rubber mallet and pick tool to open up the slot for the lipped side of the insert are essentail, and I found it best to fit the upper corners before the lower ones. Also although they look very symmetrical there is a 'top' and 'bottom' to each insert - push both sides on fully until the outer edges line up with the slot in the vertical sections of the screen rubber, and if the inserts don't meet in the middle you have them upside down!

Took 45 minutes this time - must be losing my touch - mind it was cold.

Offer stands - if anyone can be bothered to bring their car to me I'll fit them for free.

Mick