Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
EBURTON
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Rainwater Rear Windows of Traveller

Post by EBURTON »

Just bought a traveller & wondering where the rain water should go from the rear sliding windows. Should there be weep holes in the sash? Any info would be most welcome.

Evan, Ireland
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Rainwater Rear Windows of Traveller

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Hi Evan welcome to the forum!

Yes there should be several drain holes in the bottom rail, if you look from underneath you should see them clearly. Its worth checking they are clear, carefully poke a scewdriver up them to do this.

Too many Minors so little time.....
kenshiro
Minor Friendly

Post by kenshiro »

Hi Evan,
further to the first reply, about half of the weep holes are for the inside track while the remainder try to drain the outside one.

I used a screwdriver as suggested but found that where the holes were meant to pass through the metal track, they didn't align or weren't there!
If this happens to you you can use a thin'ish drill bit passed up the drain holes at the right angle {feel the slope) and used to make a pilot hole in the track.
Use this as a guide to open out the hole with a wider drill bit, clean away all of the dust/shavings/scraps etc and the holes should work.

I don't know if you'll disturb any spiders hibernating in the holes or not, I did!
Just remembered something else, when I was helping out someone else with the same thing, I temporarily blocked the bottom of the drain holes (think it was with those plastic caps you get on grease unions) and dripped clear preservative into the holes, this soaked into the vulnerable end grain in the mid rails and helped to keep them in good shape.
The bungs stopped the preservative from running out over the paintwork and were removed after it was all soaked in of course.

Hope your Xmas is a good one.
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

I use cotton buds soaked in preservative (i.e. Cuprinol). Leave them in place for 24/48 hours to allow the fluid to soak into the wood surrounding the holes. If the buds are a bit small wind and bit more cotton wool around the bud until you get a snug fit in the hole. This way you don't get the fluid running down the paint :wink:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512