Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MGs
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Floor seal

Post by MGs »

Whilst repairing the pedals, I had to remove the front part of the floor, loads of screws :(
I took the opportunity to clean it up and make a new plate to cover the brake cylinder.
I have scraped a considerable amount of old and dirty goo from the underside of the panel.
Is there a part number for this sealant, seemed to be in strips? I presume it is needed to
prevent water getting into the cabin. Or is there any other sort of sealant that you have
tried and found to be good?[frame]Image[/frame]
Old car owners don't die......they just rust away
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Re: Floor seal

Post by ASL642 »

The original product used is called DumDum - available from all morris suppliers. It's rather like black plasticine, rolled into "sausages" and placed about 1/2" from the edge of the car floor it forms a watertight seal when the gearbox cover is replaced over it and screwed down.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
MGs
Minor Fan

Post by MGs »

Cheers, will get some before I put everything back
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

Hi

You can get grey synthetic rubber strip seals very close to the original stuff used which is also overpaintable. This stuff is designed for bolt together panels.

The trouble with using Dum Dum is it runs everywhere when it gets hot from the engine and gearbox and is then very messy

I got a reel off ebay of the right width and thickness but just gave away my last spare bit. :D

I ve just ordered another reel so if your interested in enough to do your gearbox cover PM me?

Taupe
rcharman
Minor Friendly

Post by rcharman »

Hi from Australia

I posted this on another thread.

I used 25mm wide x 6mm thick (1 inch x 1/4 inch) single sided adhesive backed waterproof foam (specifically designed for the automotive industry.
Advantages are it's not messy, 10 metre roll, compresses perfectly and can be shaped over any contours, the downfall is that it comes in white only.
Google search may help to find a supplier of stick on waterproof foam seals for automobiles in the UK.

Hope this info is helpful.

Rod Charman
MGs
Minor Fan

Post by MGs »

Cheers, now sorted thanks to Taupe