Which paint?

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
shorty1970
MMOC Member: No

Which paint?

Post by shorty1970 »

Hi, as it says above , in your opinion which type of paint is best for respraying a woodie and why ?

Kev
rcharman
Minor Friendly

Re: Which paint?

Post by rcharman »

Hi from Australia

How much is in your budget to spend?
don58van
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by don58van »

Hi rc from another Aussie

What type would you prefer to use on your car, and why? I will have to make a choice soon.

If I use 2-pack, I will have to get it done professionally (very expensive), but I would be prepared to give acrylic a try myself. I have all the necessary equipment to spray acrylic. I sprayed a few cars about 40 years ago, but none since.

I can't recall any of our UK friends referring to acrylic--can anyone advise if it is available there?

Cheers
Don
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Yes it's available. I've never used it personally, but know people who have. Differing stories mostly about it not being easy to flat if you accidently get a run in it. I always go the bare metal then cellulose route. 2K tends not used here other than by the professionals as we don't have the climate. It's too dangerous to spray indoors without proper breathing facilities, and outdoors it doesn't cure properly.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

I use all three and would say acrylic paint is my least favourite. No major problems spraying, flatting and polishing, but not as easy to work as cellulose. Big problem with cellulose is shrinkage over time, meaning you have to wait six weeks or so before you can do a final cut and polish. Also needs to be used over an isolator (or two pack primer) if there is previous paint or fillers. In my opinion two pack gives superior results for less work and is more durable, but you do need heaters and mask. There are different qualities for all these paints though and spraying equipment plays a key role too! That said, there is usually too much said about paint type and not enough about proper preparation!

Unfortunately (for DIY) the shift here is all towards water based paints and while all the other types are still available, choices are reducing rapidly!

I notice from other forums that clear over base is more popular in US even for DIY and I am very impressed with some of the results those guys get!
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

ASL642 wrote:Yes it's available. I've never used it personally, but know people who have. Differing stories mostly about it not being easy to flat if you accidently get a run in it. I always go the bare metal then cellulose route. 2K tends not used here other than by the professionals as we don't have the climate. It's too dangerous to spray indoors without proper breathing facilities, and outdoors it doesn't cure properly.
I agree with ASL 642.

I have sprayed plenty of times with cellulose (see my two cars pictured!) and it is the best paint for the DIY restorer.
I've also used 2-K in a booth with breathing mask and the booth was heated and although it goes on thicker (so you need less coats), it takes ages to dry and is thus more prone to runs and sags for the inexperienced sprayer.

Cellulose on a hot day dries quickly minimising run problems.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage