Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Rust cure and prevention.

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Wandering round classic car rallies etc viewing the exhibits, it struck me how many of these so-called 'enthusiasts' left rust untreated on their cars. I cannot stress how important it is to nip rust in the bud. Leave it and it will get worse... and worse.
The smallest paint chip should be touched up immediately. Any rust should be filed away with a scraper or wire brush, paint around the area removed back to bare metal and then Kurust applied. Then give several coats of undercoat and paint... the more the merrier :D

If you can poke a screwdriver through it it's too late I'm afraid, as I found out on my old Austin Allegro (why oh why did I not just leave that nice patch of filler in the front wing? It was such a perfect colour match too).

Also get underneath your car whenever you can and see to any corrosion no matter how small the area. It will be worth it in the end. My uncle's old Triumph Acclaim was a minter on top... underneath you could put your foot through. The car in question is now deceased.

Spray inside cavities with waxoyl etc, brush off any dirt or muck underneath the car. Scrape off loose underseal.

I feel compelled to write this because of the amount of old cars I see where rust is just left unchecked... :o it CAN be treated and halted. Steel is prone to return to its natural state (rust-like stuff) if not protected.

A jar of Kurust works wonders on rust even if a tad pricey. Think it's about 8 quid a jar now but it lasts ages.