Paint codes & bodywork / trim colours

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
LouiseM
MMOC Member: No

Paint codes & bodywork / trim colours

Post by LouiseM »

A common query here is what is the paint code for my Minor? See here for details: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/index.php?page=340

Another common query relates to body / interior colours so here is a link to the Potteries branch website which includes details of body & trim colours and loads of other useful information to help identify your Minor: http://potteries.mmoc.org.uk/Identify.htm

Eric - 1971 Traveller
namass1
Minor Friendly

Re: Paint codes & bodywork / trim colours

Post by namass1 »

What shade of green should my 1951 4 door have for her piping?
Minor Friendly

Post by 123 »

Paint Codes don't work like that I'm afraid.
They only tell you the way it was 50 years ago when it came out the factory.

They don't tell you the colour it is after 50 years of UV :-(

To get a reasonably accurate colour match you have to go to a paint shop and ask to use their swatches.
If you / they can't find one close enough, you need to leave a panel with them so they can mix a special for you.
Boomlander
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Boomlander »

Jethro picked up a nasty scratch to the rear wing the other day and after trying a few black sample sprays it was obvious that the present paint was nowhere near the original shade.
Took the boot lid in to my local auto paint suppliers and they identified the colour using a portable spectrum analyser and computer matching system.
Turns out my particular car is painted in Audi/Skoda Ebony Black 041.
Total cost was £10.20 including a custom mixed aerosol can. A brilliant service and saved a lot of hit and miss testing.
Now waiting for the Chips Away technician to assess the damage to my wallet! :cry:

Mfhphil
Minor Friendly

Post by Mfhphil »

Hi
I've just bought my wife our first Minor, a 1959 convertible that's only had 3 owners from new, done a genuine 54000 miles and came complete with all the paperwork to prove it. Change of ownership documents , every MOT it's ever had and receipts for servicing, spares etc. Problem is, it's painted in Old English White and, although the body has had work, it hasn't apparently had a respray, but according to the research I've done so far, Old English White wasn't used until the 1960‘s. So I'm a bit baffled. Can anybody shed any light on it please?

Regards

Phil
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

Could be Cream or Pale Ivory - both were used in 1959. What is the body code? :D

Mfhphil
Minor Friendly

Post by Mfhphil »

Good question Boomlander. Any idea where I find the code?
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

Should be on the data plate on the driver's side bulkhead under the bonnet or front passenger side floor of the engine bay. :D

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Boomlander wrote:Should be on the data plate on the driver's side bulkhead under the bonnet or front passenger side floor of the engine bay. :D
Really?? First I've heard of that.

Phil, My understanding is also the Old English White wasn't offered in that year - what makes you think your car is Old English White as opposed to any other "off-white"? I had a Minor that age which was an off white colour although it was called Pearl Grey.
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

ManyMinors wrote:
Boomlander wrote:Should be on the data plate on the driver's side bulkhead under the bonnet or front passenger side floor of the engine bay. :D

Phil, My understanding is also the Old English White wasn't offered in that year - what makes you think your car is Old English White as opposed to any other "off-white"? I had a Minor that age which was an off white colour although it was called Pearl Grey.
The car code on the data plate gives you the Make and Model, Body type, Paint colour, Home or Export model, Paint type and Car serial number. Eg: FBA13/123456. Surprized you haven't heard of it. :roll:

Mfhphil
Minor Friendly

Post by Mfhphil »

ManyMinors wrote:

As far as I know Boomlander the code was on early data plates but then deleted for some reason.
Manyminors, I've just got the word of the guy who sold it to me. His father in law who owned it had passed away so he was selling it on behalf of his mother in law. As you know all the log books (V5s) etc, just have white as the colour. It's definitely a cream to beige colour so I just wondered how I could confirm it for touch up paint

Phil
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

Take the boot lid to a paint supplier and have it matched like I did. (See my post further up in this thread) The existing paint will be identified even if it is not original.

Mfhphil
Minor Friendly

Post by Mfhphil »

Boomlander wrote:Take the boot lid to a paint supplier and have it matched like I did. (See my post further up in this thread) The existing paint will be identified even if it is not original.
I read that Boomlander so I reckon that's a possibility. Watch this space

Phil
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Boomlander wrote: The car code on the data plate gives you the Make and Model, Body type, Paint colour, Home or Export model, Paint type and Car serial number. Eg: FBA13/123456. Surprized you haven't heard of it. :roll:
That applies to earlier cars BUT it doesn't give the NAME of the colour even then, just a description - ie: blue, green or grey etc :wink:
Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

I agree - mine is coded as Black but there are a great number of variations these days especially if the car has been repainted. Even original paint will be a different colour to when it was first sprayed which is why it is best to get the paint spectrum analysed for the exact shade. :D

Stubmiester
Minor Friendly

Post by Stubmiester »

Hi
I am renovating a 1968 MMT. having stripped to bare metal, the new colour will be Trafalgar Blue. In the paint charts the wheels are stated as dark silver. Does anyone have the correct paint number? The closest I have got is the Rover group list of colours for up to 1972 and the code is BLVC88. Can anyone advise?
Stubmiester
Minor Friendly

Post by Stubmiester »

Does anyone have the paint code for dark silver please? I am restoring a 69 Traveller in Trafalgar Blue and the trim colour is dark silver.
Thanks
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I think "dark silver" is just a general description. The wheels may have been supplied by Dunlop already painted and are probably not a BMC/British Leyland/Rover body colour. Unless you can find an original wheel which has not been re-painted and match it, I would simply respray your own wheels in a suitable "dark silver" using either aerosol cans or spraygun. Whichever suits you best. Maybe use the same paint on the sill kickplates?
Rasputin
Minor Fan

Post by Rasputin »

According to the Berger paints "car colours 1963 to 1977" Dark silver met was a wheel colour used by British Leyland from 1967 to 1969 Manufacturers code GR36 ,Bergers ref no.3718.
pingis
Minor Fan

Post by pingis »

This evening a friend dopped by since his friend had just bought a 1959 Morris Minor 1000. They were wondering about the paint of the car. It was red like a tomato. I googled and found a color called Tartan red. Then I had a look at old paint charts and I can't find anywhere where it says a 1959 MM could be ordered in red. My guess is that this car has been resprayed by someone who liked red cars and that it was once delivered in another color. What do you think?
[sig]8915[/sig]