Wet drivers footwell (surprise surprise !!)

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
lambrettalad
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Wet drivers footwell (surprise surprise !!)

Post by lambrettalad »

Just peeled back the carpets,very damp in the footwell where it meets the inner sill and wheel arch .There is a machined hole in the sill,no damp above the wet 4 inches from the floor e.g. from the window seal,no gaps in the wheel arch or under the bonnet,might be the door seal but it's still gets wet when the car is parked for any length of time.any thoughts gratefully received
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
C6Dave
Minor Fan

Re: Wet drivers footwell (surprise surprise !!)

Post by C6Dave »

Mine comes from quarter light seals. Water comes through the seal, goes behind the door panel and down into the footwell instead of down through the door itself onto the sill cover and away to the road

I have added a couple of 'new' drain holes to the q/l seal in an attempt to get the water to go down through the door, but haven't tested it as yet.

The 'new' seals I got from ESM last year just don't keep the water out and there is little to no lip on the inside edge to direct any water to the drain hole if anyone wonders why they leak. I wish I had retained the originals but......
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Most common is windscreen seal leaking - but really it could be coming in just about anywhere. Did it happen while the car was standing - or when driving?
ImageImage
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Had this with my 4dr, turned out to be a perished bonnet hinge rubber.

Systematically go through the suspected culprits by smearing vaseline over them!

Might want to have a peek behind the glove box first.

I use part nos. CB/43a(empty crisp box) to find leaks!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

thanks for the replies,I know it's going to be pain,so I'll take s chill pill :D

bmc it's both,but it seems to be more when standing
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Get someone to dit in the driver's seat and then "water" the car with a can (not as drastic as a hose).

Are your gloveboxes wet inside? (hinges and windscreen wiper seals leaking) Check the lower corner of the windscreen - water collects here and then slowly drips inside. Try Captain Tolley's creeping Crack Cure if it's the windscreen. It'll find the tiniest pinhole and seal it.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
crossst01

Post by crossst01 »

I really wouldn't discount the windscreen... I went through all of the same motions for days and due to the dryness above I had assumed it was coming from the bottom. That was until it happened whilst the car was sat for a few days. Do what I did and chuck a bucket of water over the windscreen, get in the car and watch as the sneaky drips make their way to your footwell :P
crossst01

Post by crossst01 »

bmcecosse wrote:Most common is windscreen seal leaking - but really it could be coming in just about anywhere. Did it happen while the car was standing - or when driving?
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

hi just wet the screen ,roof and doors with a watering can,one at a time
waited 1 hour still no water from the screen on to the tissue paper
did the roof and doors and I have a tiny wet patch on the very edge of the floor pan and 2 or three drips down the inside of the door card ( and one standing watching!!)

it was a fairly fierce sprinkle,and as I haven't used the car for a week ,when I checked yesterday it was dry, we had heavy ish rain yesterday ,but not as fierce as my bucket,I'm bewildered by the difference in the pool size?

I'm now going to bring forward buying new door seals ,any tips on who makes the best fitting?
Cheers Alex

[/color]
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I'd always go for the "touch glass" sliding window seals, the felt ones just encourage water into the doors.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

hi
had heavy shower last evening ,so looked at 9.30 and floor wet,followed the trail and the door seals up to around the height of the wing were very wet.
have phoned morris minor centre ,picking up on sat morning,new door seals !fingers crossed

they do two sorts ,a modern one ,which they recommend, and an original type.Any experience of theses two?
Cheers Alex

[/color]
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

The "original one" requires clips fitting to the flange of the car which it fits over and costs more!. The more modern one is softer and is easy to fit using something like a rubber tent hammer.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

was over Oldbury way today popped in and got the modern seals and two new seals for the windows the touch type ,will fit soon and then hose pipe the car to see if fixed :-?
Cheers Alex

[/color]
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

fitted new window seals plus modern door seals,finished late Sunday,had a heavy downpour during the night,looked this morning...............NO LEAK !!!!!!!!

:D But still have fingers and toes crossed :o
Cheers Alex

[/color]
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

C6Dave wrote:Mine comes from quarter light seals. Water comes through the seal, goes behind the door panel and down into the footwell instead of down through the door itself onto the sill cover and away to the road

I have added a couple of 'new' drain holes to the q/l seal in an attempt to get the water to go down through the door, but haven't tested it as yet.

The 'new' seals I got from ESM last year just don't keep the water out and there is little to no lip on the inside edge to direct any water to the drain hole if anyone wonders why they leak. I wish I had retained the originals but......
Yes, new quarter light seals are a very slightly different shape and size to the originals, and they often leak!

I have found that a bead of dum dum or wind screen sealer (the sort that does not fully set) along either side of the quarter light studs seems to cure the leak.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

I went out to the moggie today after all the very heavy rain over the last week and to my ...........

relief no leak :D

pity I can't say the same for the garage :(
Cheers Alex

[/color]