Rear foot wells keep flooding

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Lukeyk
MMOC Member: No

Rear foot wells keep flooding

Post by Lukeyk »

I have a rain problem in my 70 saloon MM, water keeps coming in when its parked in the rear passenger foot wells, i put a hose on the back windscreen and saw water coming in so had the seal professionally replaced thought that would cure it and after a heavy night of rain, i get in her this morn and a huge puddle the same as before!! Any one had this problem and know what it could be?
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Re: Rear foot wells keep flooding

Post by lambrettalad »

2 or 4 door ?

I had a front footwell problem detailed here
http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46536 good luck
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

2 door car ? Side windows....... But also lift out the rear seat squabs so you can inspect where the water enters. And remove the carpets if not out already.
ImageImage
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Happens all the time - seal up the rear screen with sealant under the rubber in all the likely places. Check the rear side windows too esp. near the door pillar on 2-drs as lambretta and bmc say. This is where mine leaks and it needs attention sooner rather than later before rust gets a hold.

In the meantime hang the carpets out to dry and leave them out until it's fixed. The Daily Telegraph is especially good for soaking up footwell water (after it's been read, of course!) :wink:
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Guiardean too!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Yes!

E.J.Thribb
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
StaffsMoggie
Minor Addict

Post by StaffsMoggie »

My pet hate on a Minor! My first one was like a goldfish bowl in the back if it rained, the rear window seal took a few attempts before I got it watertight. The side windows were leaking as well, even when replaced with new it took a while to get them dry. Sometimes the door seals let water in, especially if the doors have dropped. Front screen rubbers leak, but at least its obvious.

Take the seats and carpets out and climb in while a mate soaks the car with a hosepipe, you will soon see the places where its getting in.

I have heard a product called Arbomast is very good for sealing windscreens, I have not tried it myself though.
plastic_orange
Minor Legend

Post by plastic_orange »

Like a lot of parts for minors these days, the quality just isn't there. It seems that you have to put sealant everywhere now to effect a seal.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

If you still cant pin it down, find a garage that posesses an ultrasonic leak detection kit and transmitter.
Way too expensive to buy and if you are anywhere near the N.E. of England I can borrow one from work.
The signal generator is placed inside the car and pulses noise that will only worm its way through gaps, outside you use the detector to pick up the noise which only appears where the gaps are.
See http://www.leak-detector.co.uk click on products, part numbers VPE2 and SG2
Where angels fear to tread
Arthurdaily
Minor Addict

Post by Arthurdaily »

Also check the top of the wheel arches - mine allowed water in there to start with where a hairline crack in the paint outside allowed water through, behind the the side armrest panel and then down into the car.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Drill small holes in the corners to let the water out. 8)
[sig]3580[/sig]
fosterfamily
Minor Friendly

Post by fosterfamily »

I've had exactly the same problem on a 2 door Minor 1000 and found it was the side window near the door pillar.
I can fix the leak but worried about what damage it's done?
The floor appears solid and rot free but when I look from underneath there is a hole in the sill.
It's not scabby and crumbling but a bit ragged around the edges.
Is there naturally a drain hole at this point in the sill or does this need patching?
Thanks in advance,
Eddie
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Prod it with a screwdriver (if you dare!). Treat it with Kurust or similar and paint it with a rust-preventive paint. Leave the carpets out until you know the leak is cured. The only drain holes are two tiny ones in the rear floorpan and chassis drain-holes in the sills and rails which are quite obvious. These should be probed on a regular basis to ensure they are free from blockages.
fosterfamily
Minor Friendly

Post by fosterfamily »

The hole is open - I can get my finger in, but as I mentioned, appears very solid around it.
That's why I wondered if it was a drain hole that had started to fray at the edges.
It's flat underneath, directly in line with where the side window meets the door pillar.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Spray in lashings of Waxoyl and then fit a rubber grommet! And do the same on the other side.
ImageImage
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

from memory the drain holes in the sill are half moon shaped and point, sort of, backward,certainly NOt big enough to get a finger in,just about large enough to get a flat screw driver in to keep then clear.Could have been opened out by a previous owners of course. Best bet would be to take the covers off and have a look inside the sill.worth doing every couple of years to clear out the cr...p and re treat the inside with waxoil etc.Be prepared for a shock though,,hope not.