Cleaning & de-rusting awkward corners

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Cam
MMOC Member: No

Cleaning & de-rusting awkward corners

Post by Cam »

I was thinking of buying something like a Dremel for cleaning & de-rusting awkward to get to corners (like where the inner wing panel meets the lower bulkhead & tie plate).

My usual method for de-rusting & cleaning to bare metal is an angle grinder with a cup-brush on it, but I can't get into corners with that!! So I thought I'd try a smaller version.

However.......... is this the best method, or is nitromors, or some other method better? I thought about shot/media blasting but I would like to do it myself and I don't have a compressor and don't fancy sending the entire shell off to be done!

I was also wondering about the area behind the front bumper-mount (where is meets the inner wing). That area there (in-between the bumper mount and the flitch) seems a nightmare to get to.

Any ideas folks?
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

you're normally the font of wisdom for this sort of stuff cam..............

Cam

Post by Cam »

Dan_Harris wrote:you're normally the font of wisdom for this sort of stuff cam..............
:lol: Yes, but I want to get it as perfect as I can!! de-rusting the underside of cars that will be painted non-body colour and not critisised or doing flat panels is no problem!! But derusting awkward corners I can't get at is a problem!! I just wondered what other folks did!!

If I was asked the question I would probably recommend a Dremel or shot/media blasting.............. maybe that's the answer then!! :lol: thanks Dan!! :lol:
Pyoor_Kate
Minor Addict

Post by Pyoor_Kate »

Well, I dunno if they're any good, but some of the pressure washers at B&Q had an optional sand-blasting attachment. That could perhaps be an option?
Pyoor Kate
The Electric Minor Project
The Current Fleet:
1969 Morris 'thou, 4 Door. 2010 Mitsubishi iMiEV. 1920s BSA Pushbike. 1930s Raleigh pushbike.
The Ex-Fleet:
1974 & 1975 Daf 44s, 1975 Enfield 8000 EV, 1989 Yugo 45, 1981 Golf Mk1, 1971 Vauxhall Viva, 1989 MZ ETZ 125, 1989 Volvo Vario 340, 1990, 1996 & 1997 MZ/Kanuni ETZ 251s
Desires:
Trabant 601, Tatra T603, Series II Landy, Moskvitch-401, Vincent HRD Black Shadow, Huge garage, Job in Washington State.
Cam

Post by Cam »

REALLY????

Well, my mate has a pressure washer.......... I feel a Heath Robinson funnel & sand job coming on! :lol:

How we laughed on the way to the accident unit..................... :lol:
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Cam I have a Wizard its the Black & Decker version of the Dremel and although I have found it useful for awkward household jods I dont know how well the bits would hold up when use on a car, it might also be worth looking at a flexible chuck for a drill (as thats all the dremel really is) and seeing what stones ect could be used in one.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Cam

Post by Cam »

Not a bad idea, Kevin. What I really want is a small Dremel sized rotary wire brush, then I could buy one of those and fit it into the end of a flexible chuck I suppose.

I don't want to use grinding stones, or sanding discs really, just the rotary wire brushes:

Image Image

I wonder if Frost do something similar......
Cam

Post by Cam »

This might do it:

Apparently it's called a Ruftuf End Brush (with a 20dia 6mm shank). Anyone ever used one?
edjones
Minor Friendly

Post by edjones »

When doing the corners of my engine bay I used a wire brush, like the one on the left in your pics, on a drill. Seemed to do a good job. Plus my drill has a small torch so you can sort of see what you are doing if the inspection light can't get too near.

Cheers
Cam

Post by Cam »

Thanks Ed. Did you mean the cup brush or the Ruftuf End Brush?
edjones
Minor Friendly

Post by edjones »

The cup brush was the way I went. I haven't heard of a Ruftuf brush!
I have used my wire brush an awful lot and it still works fairly well too!

Cheers
Cam

Post by Cam »

Cheers Ed! I have nearly worn through my 2nd wire cup brush and my 1st straight twisted brush........ I was worred about getting right into the corners though as I didn't think it was possible with the cup brush, but I'll see how it goes.......
edjones
Minor Friendly

Post by edjones »

Hmmm if you get one with fairly long wires, like mine, you should be ok. Staring at the picture of the brush I think that mine may possibly be slightly longer, just a thought!
polo2k
Minor Addict

Post by polo2k »

You can usually rent compressors fairly cheeply
either that or get a dremal accesory kit with the brust you want and then a flexible drive extention on a drill
- Ash
  • [MONA] - 1963 4 door saloon
    [IGOR] - 1970 trav (In Surgery)
    [GOLFIE] - 2001 Golf GT TDi 200 (my daily "fix")
- The only way your guarenteed to fail, is never to try! -
Image Image Image
Click on the middle pic for progress!
SR
Minor Addict

Post by SR »

get that ol wood chisel in there mate with some elbow grease, and make like a fiddlers elbow!!!!
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1070767
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

Cam wrote:REALLY????

Well, my mate has a pressure washer.......... I feel a Heath Robinson funnel & sand job coming on! :lol:

How we laughed on the way to the accident unit..................... :lol:
Umm, thats essentially all the karcher kit is, a tube which sticks into a big bucket of grit.....

Fairly useless really

bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

The Dremel with wire brush isn't much good for removing heavy rust, for that the attatchment for engraving and the stones are good. The brush is excellent sor getting rid of light rust and just the job for pokey places. If you're buying one, get a dremel, I've used B&D, Draper etc, they all broke after not too long.
Cam

Post by Cam »

I might get a Dremel with a 'kit' of stones, etc then if the twisted wire brush method does not get in there. Thank folks! Rust treatment prior to etch priming then? If so, which do folks use? I was going to go for the green stuff from Halfords that Chris has used (can't remember which make it is now but I would recognise the pot by sight!!!).
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

The green goo is great, but you do need to clean it off afterwards - which might be difficult in tight nooks & crannies.
Chris
-------------
1969 2-Door daily driver
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

Cam, I don't think a Dremel would have the power to derust a corner of your car. I have a hobbycraft drill and it's fine, with the right bits, for polishing combustion chambers but it really struggles with a wire bit.
your best bet would probably be a 'normal' mains drill with a pointed wire head shaped like a artists brush.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.