Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
gammy126
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

K reg austin morris pickup

Post by gammy126 »

Hi everyone my partner has just bought a gararge and therre is an Austin morris pickup in there . wow !!!!!!
not had a good luck at it yet but the rear pickup pannels are rough . my question is is this going to be a money pit? plus can you get parts for a pickup (rear pickup cab) if so from who also what else should i look out for chassis etc . it has a key in the steering coloumb and sports wheels lol but still has a 998 engine lol
Also can you get workshop mannuals as i have no idea how to unbolt / remove the rear section for replacement or repair .

many thanks
A|an

Ill post pics when its light .
Trafalgar blue
Minor Friendly

Re: K reg austin morris pickup

Post by Trafalgar blue »

Hi there, lucky find :wink: there are plenty of company's out there. Have a look at http://www.jlhmorrisminors.co.uk http://www.jagspares.co.uk/morris/CarSe ... rModel=CAT http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/ind ... a144595318 To name just a few. Depends how much is needed to be done as to how much you'll need to spend on it & whether you want to keep it
Minor Fan

Post by 1098 »

gammy126 wrote:Hi everyone my partner has just bought a gararge and therre is an Austin morris pickup in there . wow !!!!!!
not had a good luck at it yet but the rear pickup pannels are rough . my question is is this going to be a money pit? plus can you get parts for a pickup (rear pickup cab) if so from who also what else should i look out for chassis etc . it has a key in the steering coloumb and sports wheels lol but still has a 998 engine lol
Also can you get workshop mannuals as i have no idea how to unbolt / remove the rear section for replacement or repair .

many thanks
A|an

Ill post pics when its light .
Wow! an Austin pick up,with a 998 engine. Yeah,look out for a Chassis..lol. :wink:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

There never was a 998 engine from the factory in a Minor - although it is possible to make one. As with any Minor - RUST is the problem! Everything else is inexpensive - and easy.
ImageImage
TFM150K
Minor Fan

Post by TFM150K »

You sure its a 998cc motor? What's the number (if there is one) ?
:-?
PaulTubby
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by PaulTubby »

Its most probably a 1098 engine, its sounds like a late vehicle with ignition key not below the speedo etc... rust is the money pit issue esp if you cant tackle the resto work yourself ie welding and painting is the most labour intensive part of a restoration... any documents with the pickup, if not id apply first before doing anything.. :) and above all good luck :)
drivewasher
Minor Addict

Post by drivewasher »

On a late model with steering lock key start, how was the hole for the key switch under the speedo blanked off

Rasputin
Minor Fan

Post by Rasputin »

The hole wasn`t blanked off,they just didn`t put a hole there.
moggyland
Minor Friendly

Post by moggyland »

drivewasher wrote:On a late model with steering lock key start, how was the hole for the key switch under the speedo blanked off
Hi the hole was blanked of with a chrome button which was press in by hand.
1950 lowlight fitted with x-pag engine and gearbox
1968 pickup 1275engine midget gearbox 3.9 diff ford disc's
1971 van
Rasputin
Minor Fan

Post by Rasputin »

On my 1971 pickup there is no hole there.
PaulTubby
Minor Fan

Post by PaulTubby »

Hi, some had a chrome blank button and some had no hole in the aluminium dash plate atall... all depends, they was all different!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

No one leaves a pickup in a garage unless it needs a lot of money spent on it.

PaulTubby
Minor Fan

Post by PaulTubby »

Don't forget Les, back in the day ie 15 to 20 years ago they didn't command much money like they do now so you never no... or the owner could of died or been or being kept for personal reasons... everyones circumstances and reasons are always different...
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

True, it's a possibility but you don't forget it's there, so owner would surely have done something these last few years ( if alive) as the value increased, if it was viable. However, as you say, you never know, someone might have just got lucky!

gammy126
Minor Fan

Post by gammy126 »

the owner of the pick up moved away from the area over 10 years ago but kept the garage in her ownership . She sold the garage to us last week along with the van . Have tried to down download pics but for some reason they wont down load . The van engine turns over and started once I cleaned up the rotor and contacts and put fuel in the carb .
Looking over the vehicle it looks like the rear of the cab has been welded to the cab if that makes sense its not bolted.

any advice on were to start would be helpful

also help on downloading pic

:D

many thanks
Alan
qwerty165
Minor Addict

Post by qwerty165 »

Here is a guide to adding pictures:
http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=36971

gammy126
Minor Fan

Post by gammy126 »

If there is anyone out there who would be interested in giving me a hand or advice on were to start id be grateful. I live in Hoylake on the Wirral.
Pm me if interested

Many thanks
gammy126
Minor Fan

Post by gammy126 »

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

Thanks for the info regarding resizing pics .
This is my garage find

All help advice welcome never had a project before

many thanks

Alan
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Not a bad project, looks to be all there. Chassis is the mainstay on the commercials, if that's ok you're in for a good start.Be interesting to know the size of the wheels. If you change them for standard ones, let me know! :D

Minor Fan

Post by 1098 »

Yep,tasty bit of kit. The back end alone worth a lot of dosh. Hopefully though,it will all stay together. Austins, not everyone's cup of tea...despite the only difference being a badge ! Again,nice vehicle ! :wink: