Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Rust bucket
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Rear door lip seal

Post by Rust bucket »

I've fitted the new type lip seals on the front doors of my Minor, quite easy as the window will go down below the level of the door. However trying to fit the rear door lip seal is the opposite, I have taken the complete frame out and fitted a new felt seal on the inside and a lip seal on the outside as I don't think it's possible to fit the rubber seal with the glass in, now can I ask if anyone has had a go at fitting lip seals on the rear doors. :x :x :(
Ufudu
Minor Fan

Re: Rear door lip seal

Post by Ufudu »

If your mean the "Window Weather Strip-Modern Touch Glass Type"?

Then yes,I've just done mine this weekend.

You have to get the glass right down by removing it from the winder slide (I took off the winder mechanism from the door) and the lower stop bracket held in by 2 bolts then jiggling the window to the lowest point (just below the top of the door)

I found it easier to insert the inner (felt) strip first, then the rubber one.
Ufudu

1960 Morris Minor 4 door saloon
1957 Series 1 Land Rover

Rust bucket
Minor Fan

Post by Rust bucket »

That's good news thanks, yes that's right the touch class type rubber seal, did you put the glass in first without the frame or with it, I suspect you mean with the frame, great stuff thanks. :P
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

I have my last one to do on the near side rear passenger door, the only way is to remove the frame and the glass as you can't lower the glass down enough. I bought the touch seals last summer and have only just plucked up the resolve to do it. It's a pig of a job but worth it in the end.
You may need to replace the rubber channel that the glass sits in in the window channel regulator as I found it breaks up removing the glass from the channel.
Part number 5 on the window channels parts list on here http://www.morrisminorspareparts.co.uk/
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
Ufudu
Minor Fan

Post by Ufudu »

Yes, the frame needs to be out but the glass in. if you angle the glass with the base resting on the wheel arch inside the door the top of the glass ends just below the window top, (say 10mm) enough space to get the seals in (needs to be wriggled a bit and at an angle to start) then each clip pushed in individually with the side if a flat screwdriver. Without the frame the glass can also be pushed inwards or outwards away from the seal you are trying to insert.

As I said I found doing the inner felt seal first seemed easier But at the end it all goes in quite easily. Remember to remove the winder mechanism from the glass channel

I'm not sure you can do it with the glass out, because you won't be able to get the glass plus base plus its rubber channel in with the door top seals in place.
Ufudu

1960 Morris Minor 4 door saloon
1957 Series 1 Land Rover

Rust bucket
Minor Fan

Post by Rust bucket »

Brilliant, very frustrating when you don't know how to a simple job, many thanks.