Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
john&marie
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

quarterlight window fit

Post by john&marie »

Hi, can anyone advise us if its possible to adjust the quarterlight window to get a better fit, on ours you can see theres a gap.

We know the previous owner fitted new door seals and the window does not fit against the door frame properly but we have been told you can adjust this when the rubber seals have settled in, so we are guessing the window seals could be new as well.[frame]Image[/frame]
john&marie
Minor Friendly

Re: quarterlight window fit

Post by john&marie »

full view.[frame]Image[/frame]
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Theres no adjustment as such. When you open the quarter light are the 2 little philips head screws in flush? These can be a pain to get in and if not sitting properly can cause it to push down against the hinge.

Too many Minors so little time.....
john&marie
Minor Friendly

Post by john&marie »

Thanks will have a look at that tomorrow.
biomed32uk
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by biomed32uk »

Somethings not quite right there as you say.

I have just fitted new seals to Maisie, and a new glass rubber where the glass fits into the frame.

It almost looks like something is wrong with the pivot in the bottom channel, allowing the bottom of the quarter light to shift forwards and drop the top, but the glass looks fairly true. I know one of mine is not far off disintegrating, and its on the jobs to do list.

Is there any rubber between the glass and the frame at the top, I cant see any and wondering if the frame has been pushed onto the glass too hard, bending it.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

It could of course be the window frame that is out,measure the distance from the top of the frame to the bottom on the upright Ie the straight side,and ask someone to do a similar year and just see if its the same,the bottom of the quarterlight frame looks to be sat ok ,on top of the door rubber as does the sides,don't think there is any size changes in models ser11 to 1000,but who knows. If you could adjust to lift it,the bottom would then be too high.If the otherside fits you could obviously campare the sizing yourself.
martin418
Minor Fan

Post by martin418 »

hi i have the same problem , my o/s window was seized in the lower bearing and i think forcing it open and shut has bent some thing in the upper pivot area , i made a new lower bearing block and bush and enlarged the holes for the two screws to allow a little adjustment but it is still out , i improved it further by adjusting the angle of the top pivot on the door frame by filing the base at an angle to pull the window in , i have now noticed that by gently twisting the door frame channel the window moves nicely into place so i am thinking the frame is the problem ,
john&marie
Minor Friendly

Post by john&marie »

After taking the quarterlight window out this morning we have discovered the brass tube it sits in within the frame has split so maybe this is allowing the seals to push the window out of alignment, new part added to the future shopping list.

Thanks for your replies we have lots of small issues with our new car which I'm sure is nothing new, and its great to know there is lots of help and advice out there.
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

The brass sleeve is split. That is how the friction is adjusted when the blocks are tightened or loosened. Any possibility that the glass is not correct? Maybe someone cut a new one and missed it. It looks like if the upper part of the frame is pulled up, it would fit well. The bottom fits well. Take the glass out and get the frame to fit and then get a new piece of glass cut or try a different one.
ed8die
Minor Friendly

Post by ed8die »

The split brass adjustment blocks are not symmetrical, this might be the problem. Have you tried turning them around, see link below which had the same problem. I know this might come a few years late, but just the same, it might help others with the same problem. Good luck

https://www.morrisminorforum.com/forum/ ... ent.13288/