Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
biker_bits
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Tekaloid enamel

Post by biker_bits »

Hi all and thanks for mentioning the above brand as an alternative to spray painting.
Has anyone used it? What were the results like? How is it applied best? I only got a normal garage, so not much space and temperature and dust can be a bit of a problem. Especially on this fine day! :roll: How much primer/paint do i need for a 2-door? it is not stripped to metal, only sanded down and rust patches repaired.
Any info will be appreciated.

Happy Ny to all!
shaunb
Minor Friendly

Post by shaunb »

About 15 years ago I used Tekaloid enamel (black) to restore my 1968 Triumph Bonneville back to pristine condition. The deep shine and finish has to be seen to be believed, you really need to buy the best brush you can afford usually Hamiltons. I know brush painting a whole car is a bit different to just painting a motorcycle but the technique will be the same. If I remember rightly I started off 50/50 paint/ thinners and eventually reduced the ratio down to about 25/75 paint/thinners, about 5 coats later. Your main problem will be dust, after I'd finished one coat I locked the room for the night, nobody was allowed in til it was dry. Yes I done the painting in the house cos the shed was just not clean enough, should be interesting explaining to the other half why there's a car in the front room !

Cheers

Shaun
wanderinstar
Minor Addict

Post by wanderinstar »

Hi,
I am in the process of doing what you are considering. Website, "www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk/" will be useful to you.
Once you put Tekaloid on you cant spray cellulose over top.[adverse reaction]

I started by doing rear wings first. A spare pair that I got hold of, as originals are fibreglass. These were painted in kitchen late at night. Paint takes about 5 hours to dry. Topcoat cannot be "cut up" as cellulose, has to be left as painted. After about 4 coats got a reasonable finish.

Drivers door next ,taken off, repaired and painted over Christmas 2003. 3 coats topcoat this time, getting better!

Next was roof and rear 1/4s & boot surround.Things now getting difficult,er indoors wouldn,t let me bring car into kitchen.[Spoilsport] So had to resort to what you,ve got, lockup garage. She,s been primered and undercoated, car not er indoors, now waiting for calm, dry and not too cold day to put topcoat on. Strings put up in garage roof and draped in plastic sheeting to try and stop dust.

With persaverance you can get a reasonable finish, after all we are not professional coach painters.

If I can be of any more help just ask.
Ian.
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

Quick suggestion to stop some of the dust! Wet the floor before you start! Dust stays on the floor and doesn't get kicked up every time you move.

Lee
biker_bits
Minor Friendly

Post by biker_bits »

Thank you all for the input! What is the minimum temperature that Tekaloid can be applied in?
biker_bits
Minor Friendly

Post by biker_bits »

shaunb wrote:About 15 years ago I used Tekaloid enamel (black) to restore my 1968 Triumph Bonneville back to pristine condition. The deep shine and finish has to be seen to be believed, you really need to buy the best brush you can afford usually Hamiltons. I know brush painting a whole car is a bit different to just painting a motorcycle but the technique will be the same. If I remember rightly I started off 50/50 paint/ thinners and eventually reduced the ratio down to about 25/75 paint/thinners, about 5 coats later. Your main problem will be dust, after I'd finished one coat I locked the room for the night, nobody was allowed in til it was dry. Yes I done the painting in the house cos the shed was just not clean enough, should be interesting explaining to the other half why there's a car in the front room !

Cheers

Shaun
Thanks for the info on mixtures.
Well, done bikes indoors before - not too bad. Getting the car in could be difficult - no double doors to the yard! ...but can always bring it in bit by bit! :wink: