Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Bidz
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Gap around top of door

Post by Bidz »

I've just fitted a new push-fit seal from ESM for the drivers door, and whilst the fit is very good and the door now closes a lot more snugly, I've still got a small gap at the top where I believe the water is getting through.

The door seems to fit quite well all the way around, it's just at the top there is a 8mm gap before it touches the seal.

Is there any easy way to fix this?
“The car has become an article of dress without which we feel uncertain, unclad, and incomplete in the urban compound.” ― Marshall McLuhan
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Re: Gap around top of door

Post by chesney »

The door tops are adjustable via the two nuts on the rear of the door. I think finding 8mm from that adjustability is probably pushing it though!
The vast minority
Minor Fan

Post by The vast minority »

It's probably bent, post a pic if you can chap.
Al
Bidz
Minor Fan

Post by Bidz »

chesney wrote:The door tops are adjustable via the two nuts on the rear of the door. I think finding 8mm from that adjustability is probably pushing it though!
Thanks, where abouts are these?

I'll take some pictures tomorrow.
“The car has become an article of dress without which we feel uncertain, unclad, and incomplete in the urban compound.” ― Marshall McLuhan
chesney
Minor Legend

Post by chesney »

There are two grommets that cover them up, on the rear panel of the door (ie the face that the locking mechanism is on). Near the locating peg. You may have to remove the small Phillips screw that is at the bottom of the doortop just above where the interior locking lever is on the passenger door, otherwise that'll strain. I used a 7/16AF socket on 1/4 drive extension to reach them, don't unscrew them all the way as if you drop them they're a pain to get back.
It should be in the workshop manual. If you don't have one PM me for a free PDF download.
andy.pointeer
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by andy.pointeer »

Hi see photo below, bolt holes in squares, this picture was taken when I was renewing my locks and you can see the holes the bolts go into in the window frame.

Hope this helps.[frame]Image[/frame]
Andy
Secretary Bedford Branch

1966 Smoke Grey Traveller
chesney
Minor Legend

Post by chesney »

Yeah, them :lol:
The Phillips screw is to the left of the top hole on Andy's picture, if you don't remove it it could distort the door top or break the screw.
andy.pointeer
Minor Fan

Post by andy.pointeer »

Hi this picture shows the window frame back in and the phillips screw in the square and you can see the rubber bungs in the the holes in the door covering the bolts[frame]Image[/frame]
Andy
Secretary Bedford Branch

chesney
Minor Legend

Post by chesney »

Very good pictures Andy ;)
andy.pointeer
Minor Fan

Post by andy.pointeer »

Thanks chesney, I have tried to take pictures of all the changes/mod done on my traveller, so I have a full record of what I have done.
Andy
Secretary Bedford Branch

kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

standard pro refinishers adjustment.........................................wind window DOWN put knee on frame on inside,grab top of frame and pull it in.or the otherway if too tight a fit.
Bidz
Minor Fan

Post by Bidz »

kennatt wrote:standard pro refinishers adjustment.........................................wind window DOWN put knee on frame on inside,grab top of frame and pull it in.or the otherway if too tight a fit.
Thanks - this, after adjustment as advised by Chesney, has really helped. The only issue now is the seals are so springy that the door bounces open. The striker plate is new (i.e. not worn) so I'm a bit perplexed as to why this is happening - should I try a washer underneath one end?
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

all; the new seals do it,they will settle in eventually.
Rust bucket
Minor Fan

Post by Rust bucket »

Sorry to jump into this conversation but I've got the same problem but with my four door Minor, half inch gap around (no seal) until the window frame starts and then tapers off to nothing, undone the three bolts at the end but still ridged.