Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Shot/bead blasting

Post by Mark Wilson »

I've decided to have the wings, doors and bonnet on my Trav shotblasted while they are off - easier to handle than the shell, which I'll strip myself. Does anyone know anyone reliable for this work within reasonable reach of Leeds? And what medium would you specify for these panels? I'll probably get the suspension and axle etc done at the same time - would these be better with different media?

Mark
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Shot/bead blasting

Post by bmcecosse »

Certainly not 'shot' for any body parts!!!
ImageImage
plastic_orange
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by plastic_orange »

I wouldn't get the bonnet done - doors and wings should be fine, unless they are very heavy handed. I had my entire body shell and panels blasted, but I'd have been better doing it myself with a flap disc as blasting distorted the bonnet and pock marked most of the body resulting in a lot of extra work to put it right.

Pete
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/4e634210.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/sinky_aps/MorrisRain4.jpg[/img]
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

If you have your axle done you will need to strip it and just take the casing. Some media can get past seals and into bearings and gears. Not good for them.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Try soda blasting :) no damage to bodywork and leaves a residue that stops flash rusting