Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
davidpidge
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Traveller door hinge

Post by davidpidge »

I'm about to fit the rear doors on my traveller. I've looked at some photos to work out the position of the lower hinges and it appears that the bolts will come through the metal corner plates that are fixed to the inside of the corner pillars. Is this correct? Surely you don't have to drill through the plates? If the hinges go higher to miss them it looks like they'll be almost half way up the door!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1956 Traveller - work in progress

simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Traveller door hinge

Post by simmitc »

It is correct that the bolts go through the metal plate. There should be holes there ready for the bolts.
davidpidge
Minor Fan

Post by davidpidge »

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately there aren't any holes but won't be a problem to drill through.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

davidpidge
Minor Fan

Post by davidpidge »

Ok I'm still trying to figure out how to hang these rear doors.

If I offer up the top left hinge and mark where the hole will be drilled in the rear pillar it will definitely come through where the glass channel is inside. I can't see any way to get a bolt through the pillar where it is clear of the glass inside and far enough from the edge on the outside to mount the hinge correctly. Am I missing something? Wouldn't it be infinitely easier to just screw the hinge to the pillar and not mess around with untidy nuts and bolts?

Anyone live in Frome that wants to come round and have a good laugh at my incompetence?

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The hinge "bolt" (it's a special stud actually but you could use a coachbolt) DOES have its head out of sight hidden under the window channel :wink: That is exactly where it should go. If you simply "screw" the hinges on, the mounting is unlikely to be strong enough.
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Agree with the post above.I recently replaced my bolts with stainless and had to pull the glass channel to remove the bolts.Woodscrews are a no no.
Mick