Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MrIan
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

wing to inner wing joint

Post by MrIan »

Hi all, poor old Boris appears to have very large gaps between his bonnet and wings, the larger gap on the drivers side where a copy wing has been fitted. I was just wondering if anyone could upload pictures of their inner wing to wing joint from above as Boris appears to have the joint filled with a seam sealant type material which although ok it appears to be too large a gap filled. I'm wondering if his replacement wings haven't been ''fettled'' correctly as the front panel mounting holes to the drivers side wing are nearly 1/2" out (ie wing too far out).
SUE482
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: wing to inner wing joint

Post by SUE482 »

This any good?
[frame]Image[/frame]
Should be ready for tea time.
MrIan
Minor Fan

Post by MrIan »

Ah I notice the inner wing flange has raised sections where the bolt holes are. I wonder if these are on the outer wing on Boris, if not or they don't line up that would create the large filled gap between wing and inner wing.
Although that wasn't the view I was thinking off that's a handy pic, cheers.
I'm also after a picture looking down onto the wing / inner wing joint with the bonnet open, or even for a measurement of the inner wing inner edge to the outer wing shut line (to the bonnet) as that would include the mounting gap between wing and inner wing (even if there is meant to be a gap).
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

A lot of Minors have large or inconsistent wing to bonnet gaps. Before refitting the wing check the alignment with the door as uneven sides will be more conspicuous then the bonnet gaps and the wing fitting may have been a compromise between the neighbouring panels. Also if you move a front wing inwards it may foul the door, which moves forwards and behind the wing slightly with the movement of the hinges.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

As stated above - this gap seems to vary a lot. In my experience the earlier cars seem to have smaller and more consistent panel gaps - probably because the tooling was wearing out later on!

This picture is of a completely original 1960 car[frame]Image[/frame]
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

And this picture is a 1970 model. The gap is a lot wider on this car but on BOTH of these cars the width is equal on both sides. [frame]Image[/frame]
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Fit of the wings will also depend on previous repairs to the inner wing, and also whether both outer wings are from the same manufacturer.
MrIan
Minor Fan

Post by MrIan »

Cheers for the replies. It must be down to the poor copy drivers wing I recon and not been fettled enough so whoever fitted it just filled the gap with seam sealant. The wing does need to be removed at a later date anyway so i'll try and refit it after a bit of panel beating to sort it OR i'll look out for a tidy genuine replacement.
Thanks again for the replies.