3. Respray top.

Many thanks,

Nick
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Traveller roof respray

Post by Mark Wilson »

Not done it yet, but I intend to spray top before fitting, to make sure any movement of the T rubber doesn't show old paint. Then a respray of the gutters after fitting.

Mark
nwxh
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by nwxh »

I assume you could spray it will the gutter on but T-rubber off though and mask the bottom?
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Sorry no you couldn't. The "T" shaped rubber has to go on first holding the front cab to the rear roof. Then the guttering is fixed on. You can spray the front and back sections of the roof masking the rubber with the guttering fixed, but you always run the risk of damaging the paint on removal of the masking tape, plus it's v hard to get the paint right up to the rubber which can leave a hard line.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
nwxh
Minor Fan

Post by nwxh »

I know that's not true because of page 107 of the Morris Minor Traveller - The Complete Companion. This suggests spraying once the gutter is on, with small offcuts used to ensure a suitable gap. What I'm not sure (it doesn't say), is whether or not it assume the underside is done first, and if the part in contact with the T-rubber is also done with it off the car, which is why I'm asking here.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Is the car completely dismantled anyway? If so, I would prepare, prime and spray the roof first (make sure you use a proper etch primer on the bare aluminium :wink: ) then fit it to the car and fit the rubber "T" section.
Then I would fit the gutter and last of all prime and spray the guttering having masked everything else - although you could just prime the guttering and spray a colour coat over the entire roof if you wished. This would involve masking the rubber of course which is tricky but no more so than masking a windscreen rubber or similar.

One thing which remains a mystery to me is how the roof and guttering was painted in production. Certainly the roof panel was sprayed as a separate panel because there is body colour paint under the gutter. Did they have some way of spraying the guttering BEFORE it was fitted? Or, did they mask the roof to spray just the guttering after fitting??
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ian.mcdougall »

I remember seeing an old film of traveller production and the timber sides roof and ally side panels and maybe glass and doors all painting done (not too sure about the last three parts) being delivered to the factory to be fitted as one unit

tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Whenever I've sprayed cars where for whatever reason the rubbers weren't removed I always lifted the edge and pushed nylon clothes line into the gap which keeps the edge raised so the paint goes underneath.No unsightly overpainted edges.
Mick
Longdog
Minor Fan

Post by Longdog »

I second Tysonn's top tip, works very well. When I did mine I sprayed etch primer all over and did the roof in top coat before fitting to car, then blew in the gutters after fitting having sealed them with Tigerseal where top edge meets roof.
[sig]6530[/sig]
nwxh
Minor Fan

Post by nwxh »

Thanks for the replies. Everything is off the car.

Unless anything thinks it's a bad idea, I think I will only paint the inside (rattle cans to save money) before the roof goes on the car with gutter and then get the rest professionally resprayed.