Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Bidz
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Front Panel Nuts & Bolts

Post by Bidz »

Hello,

To facilitate a clutch replacement, this weekend the engine will be coming out of Charlie. This means I will finally have to liberate the front panel, which has been riveted one side and crudely bolted underneath. Said bolts have since been covered in underseal or otherwise rounded/ruined by previous owners...

I'd like to order a complete set of new bolts for the front panel. What size and quantity should they be?

http://mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36400 This thread suggests they are 7/16 AF - but is this spanner size? I want to order the correct thing and put it all back together cleanly...

TIA
“The car has become an article of dress without which we feel uncertain, unclad, and incomplete in the urban compound.” ― Marshall McLuhan
don58van
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Front Panel Nuts & Bolts

Post by don58van »

This thread says they are 2BA:

http://mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t= ... ba#p536829

Good luck with it. The studs usually break off if the nuts are stubborn.

Don
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Providing that you have a engine hoist you do not need to remove the front panel if you are just going to remove the engine.
In short term - remove radiator (though engine can be removed without removing radiator) - pull engine forward - turn through 90 degrees and lift out.[frame]Image[/frame]

Bidz
Minor Fan

Post by Bidz »

philthehill wrote:Providing that you have a engine hoist you do not need to remove the front panel if you are just going to remove the engine.
In short term - remove radiator (though engine can be removed without removing radiator) - pull engine forward - turn through 90 degrees and lift out.[frame]Image[/frame]
Thank you. Sadly, no hoist.
“The car has become an article of dress without which we feel uncertain, unclad, and incomplete in the urban compound.” ― Marshall McLuhan
Bidz
Minor Fan

Post by Bidz »

don58van wrote:This thread says they are 2BA:

http://mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t= ... ba#p536829

Good luck with it. The studs usually break off if the nuts are stubborn.

Don
Hello,

As far as I can see, this thread says that the studs on the hockey sticks are 2BA. I am interested in the bolts that hold the front panel along the underside of the car.

Thanks
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The bolts along the underside of the front panel can be either 1/4" UNF (7/16" UNF spanner) or 1/4" dia BSF (1/4" BS / 3/16" W spanner) but as the front panel has been removed and fitted (riveted) the bolts could be even metric but 1/4" dia UNF or 1/4" dia BSF are good to go when re-fitting the front panel.