Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ColinP
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Striker plate screws?

Post by ColinP »

Hi team,

My 2 door saloon has just developed a nasty habit with the driver's door popping open to the safety catch as I drive.

I've tracked this down to the striker plate screws being slightly loose and allowing the striker plate to move. I've tightened them as much as I can, but the cross-head screw heads are somewhat "used" - i.e. the cross isn't very clear.

Anyone know what size the screws are, and secondly (more important!) if I just unscrew the striker plate, is there a backing plate insode the door pillar (will I hear a clunk as it hits the bottom!?)

Thanks,

Colin
MrA.Series
Minor Fan
Location: Cambridge in term, otherwise Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire

Post by MrA.Series »

Well, the plate is held captive by a cage, but these can wear away. if you are worried, Unscrew the top one and loosen the bottom one, swing the top outwards so that you can replace the top screw to make sure you don't loose it before undoing the bottom screw fully. Replacement, with new screws, is this procedure reversed (I could work for Haynes anyday!).
Boris: 1968 2-Door Saloon
[img]http://home.ripway.com/2004-2/76758/Morris%20Minor/BorisThumbnail.JPG[/img]
(In background is Pixie: 1968 2-Door Saloon)
usomogyi

Post by usomogyi »

also new screws are available from esm minors at stonegate or any moggie shop
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

(I could work for Haynes anyday!).
You mean you can convincing lie? "assembly procedure is the reverse of dissasembly" arrgghhh!
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
ColinP
Minor Addict

Post by ColinP »

Thanks Guys, I have nightmares about undoing both screws and hearing a little clink as the backing palte falls into oblivion ...

Leaving the only escape route to either cut open the pillar, or to try fishing one down from the roof lining.
Quote:

(I could work for Haynes anyday!).

You mean you can convincing lie? "assembly procedure is the reverse of dissasembly" arrgghhh!
Nagh, can't fool me, Haynes manuals have more "simply" & "easily" like:

"simply unscrew the xxx using minimum force and BMC tool part number yyy-03, if this is not available use a large stilson wrench but avoid unneccessary damage. Reassembly is easily carried out by simply reversing the dismantling procedure" - this in someting that's a minature nut, exposed to all the road grot for 30 years and never seen daylight!

Colin
pudseykeith

Post by pudseykeith »

Hi colinp
All the nuts bolts and screws on moggys were BSF thread. May have changed to UNF on later models. Size, they could be 1/8th BSF.
Regards pudseykeith.
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

The striker plates should be 1/8 unf on minor 1000 models. beware when ordering replacements as some less than carefull suppliers will sell you fine pitch metric, these will start to screw in then bind up. Make sure you ask and get the correct item. If you can find your local fastners try and get these in stainless, as some of the imported fastners are made from chocolate
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

:P
a
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

Mmmmmmmm chocolate screws...

Must get me a big box of them :P
Cam

Post by Cam »

:lol: :lol: @ Welung666
guydenning
Minor Fan

Post by guydenning »

just replaced the striker plate on the driver's door, and the screws came with the plate - six quid-ish? - hardly a king's ransom...
[url]http://www.guydenning.org[/url]
[url]http://www.40wc.org.uk[/url]

[img]http://guydenning.org/guyorg/vehicles.jpg[/img]
Stig
Minor Addict

Post by Stig »

ColinP wrote:Thanks Guys, I have nightmares about undoing both screws and hearing a little clink as the backing palte falls into oblivion ...
On a similar note, anyone know how to get at the courtesy light switch in the A-pillar? Mine's been missing the plunger bit since I got the car. I imagine the switch unscrews (might have tried that once) but I'm guessing there's a wire dangling down inside the pillar somewhere...
Cam

Post by Cam »

I think you insert a large screwdriver (phillips type) into the head and unscrew the unit. The wire then attaches at the rear (or falls down behind the pillar! :lol: ).
ColinP
Minor Addict

Post by ColinP »

Stig,

Do remember to disconnect the battery FIRST. The courtesy light earths through the switch - i.e. the wire dangling down the back is live....

First time I did that I had a shower of sparks - ok. the bulb acts as a limiting resistance, but it's still distracting when you're working!

Colin
newagetraveller
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by newagetraveller »

Take the two screws out (do this one at a time )
Use a hacksaw to cut a notch in the screw head.
Put the screw back and do it up using a flat-bladed screwdriver.