Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
lencot76
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Body work

Post by lencot76 »

Hello I am working on the last panel I have to do in the restoration,this is the front wing.I cut out all the rot and welded new sections in, filled it sanded it primed and have just put the first coat of base coat colour.Can`t believe how uneven the panel is,I must have spent hours working on it ,but still a long way before I will be happy with it we are going on holiday Tuesday,so I am giving it a break till we return,in the hope my shattered nerves have settled down.This is why restorations take so many hours
kennatt
Minor Legend

Re: Body work

Post by kennatt »

that's why pro re painting costs £2000 + :(
ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ianmack »

If it needed several welded sections and many hours work and still isn't to your liking you might have been better off buying a new one.
volrod544
Minor Friendly

Post by volrod544 »

did you guide coat it when you rubbed it down ? that would have highlighted some problems before you topcoated it.
lencot76
Minor Fan

Post by lencot76 »

Hello back from Italy where we had a great time,except I picked something up,my right foot became swollen and numb,there was also a round red patch on my ankle.When I arrived home I went to the doctors and the hospital and neither had an idea,both saying they didn`t think it was a bite.Anyway I was put on anti- biotics and it seems to be slowly helping.It has though slowed me down a bit.I did spray a guide coat on,(the car not the foot) but it still leaves a lot of work to get it right.
Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Post by Redmoggy »

Ensure you only sand the guide coat with a block.

Rod
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

The good thing is the curvaceous nature of the minor is pretty forgiving, but as said below if you wnat a top notch finish expect many hours of prep, hence why professional paint jobs cost so much, it is also why professionals generly work with new panels wherever possible, with the repair then the additional prep the labour is far more than the cost of a new panel.

That said if you just want a nice tidy everyday car you can get a perfectly adequote finish at home and it need not take forever, my tips are wherever possible use a block and on larger flat areas use a long rigid sanding block, you will also need to fill a much larger area than you expect, then sand most of it off!