Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stag36587
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

So frustrating

Post by stag36587 »

My minor is nearing the end of a mammoth restoration. Today I fitted the carpets and that went very well. What didn't go so well was trying to bolt the seats back in. On the passenger side (original floor) 3 out of 4 bolts were fine, one wouldn't fit no matter what I tried. On the driver's side (new floor) none of the new bolts fitted into the new captive nuts. Why?! :evil: So what to do now?

Replace all 4 captive plates with new ones - not easy as I'd need to weld from underneath and I don't have facilities to roll the car, or drill through the captive nuts and use new nyloc nuts welded in place of old ones. Or is there anothe solution?

Has anyone else had this problem? Grateful for views!
]
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: So frustrating

Post by les »

On n/s run a 5/16 bsf tap through the dodgy one. The o/s may be a metric thread, you could possibly run the same tap through those captive nuts but best to use the appropriate bolts.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As above - likely metric nuts or possibly UNF. The originals were indeed BSF.
ImageImage
stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

I love this forum, guys you were absolutely right - different thread on new floor (wonder why it wasn't made to BSF as original). All bolted down and I managed to do the dodgy captive nut on the passenger side too. Seatbelts next :)
]
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

Repro stuff is often, if not always, fitted with metric because it is the easy option, some companies can't get the panels right so the last thing on their minds is the thread type. I've always been puzzled about panel inaccuracy because it just as easy to work to one set of dimensions as to another, so why select the wrong ones. Big mystery!

whyperion
Minor Fan

Post by whyperion »

yep

unfortunately i'm losing one garage accomodation and all my taps are in a pile on the floor - under the boat engine . what fun to sort out !
The Issigonis Kid
Minor Fan

Post by The Issigonis Kid »

For Seatbelts, I used the inertia on Securons website, not cheap but seem ok. I have a Traveller so be carefull what you order. I seem to remember the size they recommend is too short (on the rear Trav seats). Its the front stems that cause the problems. Im sure I used London Taxi Stems and I fitted the red belts that are an additional £20 each but nice. They have a useful phone advice. Also, search 'Securon' on this forum and it brings up advice from others.

The Issigonis Kid - Richard Troup - Sheffield - 1961 Morris Minor Traveller ...... at last
stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

Seatbelts successfully fitted with special vote of thanks to Declan Burns for extra tips
]