Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
glynny
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

split screen series 2 windscreen

Post by glynny »

after many years of motorcycling i have just passed my test and have bought a 1953 morris minor and the windscreen leaks terribly in the bottom corners does anyone no anyone in staffs west midlands area capable of fitting the windscreen correctly or helping me to do it myself im in burntwood cheers
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Re: split screen series 2 windscreen

Post by SteveClem »

If the rubber seals have perished it's a windshield out job. Lots of details on various threads here,just do a search to get a feel for the potential problems and solutions. For a lesser problem Captain Tolley's sealant is worth a try.
graham1957
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by graham1957 »

hi glynny, congratulations on passing your test, as for the windscreen {splitscreen} i suggest getting the best screen rubber and then its a 3 man job and about 3 hours work, it all fits from the inside, instructions can be found in the original workshop manual that covers that model, from memory a dummy centre pillar has to be made to keep the screens apart, hope this helps Graham
[sig]8872[/sig]
glynny
Minor Friendly

Post by glynny »

thanks for that having no joy finding anyone to fit it correctly. Have lookedin my workshop manual and the page R3,R4 is missing could anyone please send me an email with scanned page both sides so i can print it of in case i need to try and tackle the job myself thanks this would be a great help
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Just Google for Morris Minor Workshop Manual and get it there FREE... The split screen windscreen is a terrible job - may even be the reason the car was up for sale !
ImageImage
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

Most ser2 screens at some stage in the cars life leak from the corners,there are no good new seals,none fit satisfactorily and they are a pain to fit ,do a search many posts and different ways of fitting. Even with a new seal you will still find they tend to leak. The only way I found to stop it was to inject sealant,. under the seal from the INSIDE. Lift the large rubber lip and pump sealant all the way round. BUT if its been leaking for a long time,it may be advisable to have it out to examine the window flange,they can rust out(HOPE NOT) and equire welding etc. Good luck
glynny
Minor Friendly

Post by glynny »

Job done leak free for how long who k ows
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I can tell how heavy the rain is by the rate at which the water drips off the trafficator switch
[sig]3580[/sig]