Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
67-2door
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Torn window rubber

Post by 67-2door »

After a year or two of lack of interest when my Morris has sat under a cover waiting for me to put her back together I've finally regained my enthusiasm & got stuck back in, she's going to be on the road this summer.
Today with the help of my 16 yr old lad we put the glass back in, theres still the chrome windscreen trim to put in as that beat me this afternoon.
The only problem was that I managed to tear two chunks out of the rear window rubber, I read on here recently someone recommended Sugru putty to repair a damaged seal, does anyone have long term experience of using this? Does it seal the water out effectively or should I really be buying another seal and having another go?
Thanks.
Neil.

les
Minor Maniac

Re: Torn window rubber

Post by les »

Best bet would be another seal, if you're prone to lack of enthusiasm, it happens from time to time, last thing you want is to be unhappy the results. It could cause another year off!

amgrave
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by amgrave »

I don't know if this helps but in the current Minor Matters there is an article about re-fitting the rear screen and it suggests using a knife to ease the stubborn parts of the lip over that the string struggles with.

67-2door
Minor Fan

Post by 67-2door »

Ok, new seal ordered. This time from Baines to see if it goes on any better. A friend came round this afternoon and between us we managed to fit the front chrome windscreen trim too. Successful weekend 8)

67-2door
Minor Fan

Post by 67-2door »

Just to update, took the rear screen out again yesterday & refitted with the rubber from Baines. After leaving the rubber in a bucket of hot water for 10 minutes it went in a treat with my other half & our lad pushing from the inside & me pulling the cord. And no tears :D .
Also while the weather was nice I managed to fit the wiper arms, bezels & new blades and new door seals.
Progress at last!