Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dudload
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

rust on front of chassis leg

Post by dudload »

evening all!

was just out greasing the trunnions with my new second hand wanner today and noticed that there was some bubbling under the underseal at the very front of the LHS chassis leg. when i poked it it transpired that the joint between the very front of the chassis leg and the front (crossmember?) had completely rusted out at the bottom. it's still connected via other pieces of sound metal, but was wondering if this is an MOT failable problem or a serious issue for driving until i get it fixed?
dudload
Minor Fan

Re: rust on front of chassis leg

Post by dudload »

here's a couple of (blurry) photos to help diagnose[frame]Image[/frame]
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

[frame]Image[/frame]
graham1957
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by graham1957 »

its time to inspect both chassis legs the full length , if they are solid a welded repair piece should be straight forward job, i would try to clean all flaking rust from inside by raking it out through the hole and then treating with dynex S 50 or waxoyl,after welding i am sometimes amazed by how much flaked off rust and muck is sitting in the bottom of chassis legs it gets damp in there and slowly corrodes right through to the outside, yes it is a mot fail as the chassis is structure, hope this helps Graham
[sig]8872[/sig]
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Get it sorted I think..will save you money and grief in the long term.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It is both an MOT fail - and a risk when driving - much of the strength around the tie-bar front mount will be gone. Sharp braking or a speed bump / pot hole could easily pull the mount away. Check the other side too...... Rusty/flaky metal has no strength at all.
ImageImage
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

thanks all - sounds like I need to get this sorted asap! i'm actually booked in at the local garage to replace the front oil seal on Tuesday so will see if they'd also be willing to sort out this too. any ideas what a reasonable cost would be for the repair to just this section?
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

... or does anyone know anyone/garage who's handy with the welding in east london?
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

A couple of Commer owners I know use this place but it's not exactly in your area.

Prestons Garage in Harefield, Middlesex, nr Uxbridge.
01895 822209

Not had any dealings with them myself (I'm a bit too far north) but they come recommended.
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

thanks Panky - it's tempting, but that place is a little too far away and a bit of a nightmare on public transport. ideally if anyone knew somewhere as far east as stratford, south as Dulwich and north as highgate that would be amazing :D
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

Rust is slightly annoying as had a fair amount of work dobe at Charles ware last Sept including waxoil injection and sill replacement. I guess thems the breaks though...
SpringbokMog

Post by SpringbokMog »

You may want to consider B and P Motors. They are based in Ilford and have advertised in Minor Matters in the past. Certain members of the North London & Middlesex branch have used them and have been pleased with the service..
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Mine looked sound apart from dents, but I noticed a lot of flaky rust on the inside when I removed the gearbox cover. After similar advice from Roy I took the plunge and replaced both legs (they were almost the only part of the underside I hadn't replaced!)

This is the condition of one of the legs - note the state of the eye bolt reinforcements, with no evidence at all from the outside. Scary - you are best to assume the worst as failure could be catastrophic.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Garage to replace an oil seal ???? Oh dear.... :roll: A Minor is really only an economic proposition if you can do most of the work yourself - especially simple jobs like 'oil seals'. I think now the welding takes very much higher priority. I do suggest much serious poking and hammering to determine just how far this has spread. You may be lucky - it may be very localised. I assume you hadn't read the past threads on Ware's reputation re welding repairs when you went there. But I suppose they could only do what you asked them to do - so if you didn't ask for a complete chassis check and repair where necessary......
ImageImage
67-2door
Minor Fan

Post by 67-2door »

Yes, my car came with stacks of receipts for work done at Wares before I got it. I've spent the last 18 months putting it right :cry:

dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

eek - I did ask for a full structural assessment and repairs, so hopefully this is just new and localised. on the oil seal - i've changed a couple so far, but looking to sort the front timing chain seal as I couldn't figure out from the manual how to do it and couldn't risk having the car out of action for this couple of weeks. If it's easy i'm certainly willing to give it a go!

thanks Springbok - will check them out.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It's very easy - once you get the starter handle dog loosened.
ImageImage
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

well I have some good news and bad news. took it to the local garage (who worked on morris' as a trainee) and after checking along both legs said that the rest of the length on both sides was solid - so he put a repair piece on top with a view to replacing the legs in a couple of years (to be safe).

however, as mentioned I also put it in to have the front oil seal changed which was duly done (and the old one was completely shot). I made a complete schoolboy error and drove out of the garage without running the engine to check all was ok - when I got home and popped the bonnet water was spewing out the back of the rad. Called this morning and they said to bring it in to "see what they can do". am I better off just buying a new rad, or do welded repairs last?
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

As you have had work done around the front of the car it is possible that the rad received a clout in the process, or that it was too old and fragile to stand the strain of removal and refitting. I'm guessing the garage will suggest the latter!

Rads can sometimes be repaired, by soldering rather than welding, but this is quite tricky as a rad is of course designed to dissipate heat. If you are paying for labour a new one is probably your best option.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

They burst the rad -they fix it, at no cost to you. And errrr - find another 'garage' .....
ImageImage