Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stringfixer
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Front wing for Series II

Post by stringfixer »

Hi, looks like I need to buy a new drivers side front wing for my series II. I'm in New Zealand, and can't seem to find anything locally that isn't full of rust in the usual places, so am looking to import a new wing from the UK. Does anyone on this forum have any advice on where to get a Series II wing from......are they even available. I vaguely remember reading something about modifying a later Minor 1000 wing to suit, would that be correct and could anyone tell me what is involved. Many thanks
Dean
Minor Legend

Re: Front wing for Series II

Post by Dean »

See link for visual help.

http://potteries.mmoc.org.uk/ID/Grille.htm

I bought a later second hand wing that was in fairly good condition and filled the indicator hole using fibre glass and filler.

I then fitted the wing to the car and married up the front panel. Use a G clamp if necessary to hold in place. Then drilled through the front panel hockey stick holes.

I then stood back and had a chocolate hob nob or two, with a mug of tea.

You could trim the wing just inside the profile of the bolt holes you have just drilled, I can't remember if I did or not, I don't think it is critical that you do to be honest.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

graham1957
Minor Fan

Post by graham1957 »

hi, i have a series 11 saloon and i fitted the 1000 front wings, the only thing i had to alter was the holes for the side light. This was done by welding a piece of steel in the light hole and redrilling and filing out for the smaller side light, if you dont have welding skills get someone to do it for you.It was done by holding a piece of plate behind the hole and scribing through hole, then cut out the shape with tin snips and grind and file excess metal off. Hold the new steel perfectly flush with surface and then seam weld with mig welder. Carefully grind off any excess on both underside and outside then drill and file the hole out for the series 11 light taking measurments from old wing. What you should now have is a modified wing in which alterations cant be seen from underneath or the out side, hope this is of help, Graham
[sig]8872[/sig]
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Ah, the series 2 has two types of front wing. I guess Graham has the later one and I have the early one.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

graham1957
Minor Fan

Post by graham1957 »

dont know but my car is a slatted grill type, i had a nice drive in it two days ago to fetch a brake caliper from the motor factors for my vw passat which had a jammed on electric parking brake, expensive job that was!it has a plastic motor and gears attatched to the back of the caliper and ecu to control it!why do we all put up with this cr-p on modern cars, but i think that is why i like the morris so much, because it is simpler, Graham
[sig]8872[/sig]
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

ESM sell genuine Heritage wings which have been modified for the small sidelight: http://www.morrisminorspares.com/search/front-wing

Eric - 1971 Traveller
stringfixer
Minor Friendly

Post by stringfixer »

Thanks for the guidance, I didn't see the modified ones in ESMs catalogue, so thanks for putting up that link.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

If its just rotten at the part where it meets the A post (the 'usual' place they rust), welding repairs can be made with a result that you'd never know there was a repair.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Replacement wings have a seam running from the headlamp bowl to the inner wing. For originality this should be filled on older cars
[sig]3580[/sig]