Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ColinP
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Grille removal

Post by ColinP »

Hi guys,

I've started to treat the stone chips on my 1098 grill. It seemed so easy - just remove 4 screws and the grille isn't attached to the body any more - but I can't get it out :(

Have I fallen into one of those little traps? - i.e. it will unscrew easily, but I have to take the front of the car to pieces first?

Thanks,

Colin
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

yes to get the grill out you have to take teh front panel and hocky sticks off, also the rad to get to it
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

...and if the hockey sticks aren't pretty new, one of the studs that hold it in place *WILL* snap. Chuck some copper grease on them when you replace them/the litttle bolts, it might help the next time.
Chief
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Chief »

we (well my brother to be precise) just fitted a new by-pass hose and I dont know what your rad/panel is like but if its as bad as ours was (rust wise) expect to use a lot of WD40 on it.
In our case for grille painting we're replacing both front panels soon so we'll be doing a total de-rust and paint job on the front (for both the car and our sanitys sake) :)

Though we've bought new hockey sticks for the new panel the old ones dont need to snap - they've been screwed on :o
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Chief wrote: Though we've bought new hockey sticks for the new panel the old ones dont need to snap - they've been screwed on :o
Ah, that old favourite mod - 6 holes, 6 self tappers... well, it's a lot cheaper than new hockey sticks :)
rupert
Minor Fan

Post by rupert »

you also need to take the big strip of chrome off the top of hte grill panel off. THis holds the 2 parts together like a sandwich.

Rupert
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Well I am a bit puzzled what does the bypass hose have in common with the front panel, and once again WD40 is not a penetrating or dismantling fluid use the proper stuff like Plus Gas
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Ah thanks for telling me that Rupert, I hadnt realised it went straight through both pannels I thought it was just on the grille panel itself.

Kevin, the bypass- hose has a radiator removal in common with it so we could fix the new inflexible by-pass hose into the car, on removing the radiator we found it (well the bolts actually) nicely rusted to the cowl assy panel, hence the use of WD40 which soon let us remove it from the car (im a great believer in WD40 as its been useful for many things in the car).
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

the bypass- hose has a radiator removal in common with it so we could fix the new inflexible by-pass hose into the car,
I see all is now revealed, did you buy a specific hose for the bypass-hose, the only reason I ask is that many owners don`t realise that you can use a piece of heater hose.
Cheers

Kevin

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

yeah we got a kevlar reinforced one (well actually we got two but the first one we managed to destroy while trying to put it on as a flexible hose :lol: wont be making THAT mistake again :D
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Chief just one thing the kevlar reinforced one, it was actually reinforced wasnt it ? The only reason I ask is that last week a pal got a couple of rad hoses from Minor Mania of that type and they had no reinforcing in them at all and did not look like they would last that long ( a year-ish) inspite of the kevlar reinforced label on them there was no reinforcing in the hoses, the heater hose I meant was the standard 1/2" reinforced heater hose which is normally about £1 a foot.
Cheers

Kevin

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

hmmm not sure, didnt really check as we wanted the car to drive ;) It certainly seemed to be solid and inflexible though, so maybe it was. I guess we wont know till the next time it goes.