Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dudload
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Front wing replacement

Post by dudload »

Evening all!

I've been considering replacing both front wings on my travel as they're heavily rusted at the headlight bowl area and signs of patching near the door.

I've decided that I'll tackle the job of removing and fitting the new wings myself, but does anyone have tips on painting etc? I'd probably have to have it painted by a garage as despite trying touch up kits for almond, everglade and imperial green, none seem to match.

Would it work better if i took the new wings to a spray shop and asked them to match, pain and then for me to fit, or to fit first then take it along?
ianmack
Minor Addict

Re: Front wing replacement

Post by ianmack »

The new wings might need some alteration to fit well so best to do this before painting. Put some paint on the surfaces which wont be accessible after fitting.

For the colour, if you advise the year or post a photo here someone might identify which green it is.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Minor owners are fortunate that wings etc are so easily found,albeit that a bit of fettling may be required. I dread ever needing to replace a wing on my Austin!
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I think there were a number of shades of green produced ove the years and, for most models, the third letter of the chassis number prefix will indicate the colour - i.e.
E = Mid Green
T = Light Green
U = Dark Green
This can then help, in conjunction with the year of your car, to identify the correct colour. But the paint may have slightly faded over the years, making an exact match difficut.
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

thanks all - I've attached a photo of the car below, which will hopefully help ascertain the colour, but it's a 66 traveller.

1) The chassis number appears to start MAW - not sure if that helps with the colour given it's not on the list...
2) Sounds like I'm much better getting the new wing and playing around with the fitting before painting.

Finally - is it worth it/possible to paint myself or is that a stupid idea? As you can see, i don't have a garage and everything will be on-street. I take it a paint shop will be happy to paint if i already have the wing installed? (with some almond green aerosol on the areas covered?)
carcolour.jpg
carcolour.jpg (192.82 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

According to the reference books, it should be Almond Green, but it may have faded and not match a spray tin. Any good bodywork/sprayer should be able to get a good match these days.....or T-cut a little bit and see if it comes up to match the spray paint.
Cornish registration number, by the way - nice!
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

it is indeed - there's a lovely sticker on the dash above the speedo saying "Buberry's Garage Penzance" - i thought it could be me misreading Burberry's, but it's definitely missing the 'r'.

I also think i've cracked the colour - the attached is on the inside of my glovebox (with the key bit unfortunately teared!), and i couldn't match the RAL60(28?) with the written name. However, looking at the below it looks like the person has used the German Name for Pine Green https://www.ralcolorchart.com/ral-6028-pine-green

Finally - i spoke to Ital coachworks in London today and the bloke on the phone was saying that the new panels will look very mismatched against the bonnet and doors etc. and that he can't get a hold of cellulose. Is that him just covering backs, or does a new wing and paint tend to look silly? It also looks like it may have had a fairly recent spray job as i notice it's stating 2K paint was used, so maybe the match should be ok?
Attachments
colour green.jpg
colour green.jpg (205.79 KiB) Viewed 4696 times
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Sure it doesn't say 'Ruberry's Garage'?
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

just popped out and it does indeed say Ruberry's garage!
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

looking at your label the words binder 7110 are a Max Meyer product when looked up on the internet so the colour may have been mixed by a company selling Max Meyer paints
Dont know where Max Meyer paints are sold as I live in Ireland sorry.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Ruberry's was a garage near Penzance station. I remember the name but it turned into a Shell petrol station when I was small. Now housing, I think..

It was there between the wars and into the mid-60's. A 1963 advert gives "Ruberry's Garage Ltd. Penzance 3334. Nuffield MORRIS Agents, Apointed LUCAS stockists. All motor repairs and service. Self Drive hire cars available. Agents for JOHNSON, MERCURY, BRITISH SEAGULL AND ROOTES, outboard motors."

Classic!
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

good to know where the cars roots are! if only the garage was still standing....

in terms of the paint, do you think that particular garage was covering himself by saying the paint will always look weird vs. the bonnet etc., or if i have a paint code and also ask for double checking through the machine it should be ok?
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

If the guy at the paintshop hasn't seen the car then he may be able to give you a better idea of the closeness of the match when he sees it. Most mismatch issues are due to either having the wrong paint colour, or the original paint has faded too much, and he may have assumed it has faded, being an old car.
But your car looks quite shiny and if it was resprayed fairly recently in 2K it should be possible to get a good match...........
dudload
Minor Fan

Post by dudload »

After a lot of procrastinating I've finally bought two new heritage panels from esm. I've noticed that they come painted in black with a seam down the front.

My plan (due to colour match worries) is to remove the wings, rust treat underneath, hoping that the inner panels are in good condition, paint in as close colour as I can find the inner parts of wing, fit and then take to a coach works for painting.

I take it I should remove the black paint that's currently on it? If so I take simply mouse sanding with 120g would do it? For the inside of wing I take it etch, primer, paint and dinitrol coating is best?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Definitely don't remove the black coating from the wing. The Heritage wings have a good quality etch primer already so should be undisturbed - and if you remove it your bare metal wing will rust immediately as you have no garage! You won't be able to apply as good a quality base primer with an aerosol as Heritage have done already. On the inside, rub the paint down to give a key, then use a good quality primer brushed on (an aerosol will only give a very thin coating and a brushed finish will be fine hidden from view) followed by a coat or two of gloss. The colour won't matter that much as it won't really show but make sure you use a paint compatible with the paint the sprayer will use later if the two are going to meet anywhere.
If the car has been resprayed and you now know what paint was used it should be a simple job for a good sprayer to match it.
With simple tools it should be perfectly possible to fit the wings yourself IF the inner wings are sound.....The two bolts close together at the back / bottom of the wing are the ones most likely to give you trouble if the car is rusty and the one at the top in the corner is rather inaccessible. It's a simple enough job though with a few tools and you'll likely need to replace some light fittings and maybe the hockey stick chrome moulding if that doesn't come off intact. I'd leave them off until after it is painted anyway and just put some screws in initially so that the sprayer has better access. The Heritage wings are expensive but a much better quality than the imported pattern alternative.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

For the inside at the back of the wings, a waterproof mastic poured over a thinned down drizzle of Dinitrol from a syringe to get it tight into the corner? Worked for me. The Mastic was then smoothed down and painted several times. Hopefully there will never be rust getting in there. :D
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

losil3.jpg
losil3.jpg (93.24 KiB) Viewed 4046 times
Hopefully this shows it on these heavily repaired Lowlight wings. Wax run into the seam, covered with goopy mastic in a strip, painted, sprayed with some stonechip (bad idea, wish I hadn't) and then sprayed with 2-pack paint.
Cardiff, UK
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

I am also in the process of fitting my Heritage wings to my van and undecided on what material to use to seal the small gaps between the fixings between inner wing and flange? Seam seal, putty or body filler please?
John
alloriginal1owner
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by alloriginal1owner »

midget wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:18 am I am also in the process of fitting my Heritage wings to my van and undecided on what material to use to seal the small gaps between the fixings between inner wing and flange? Seam seal, putty or body filler please?
I've got the same question. There ist a front wing piping in Moss' catalogue, but it's out of stock there and elswhere. What would you do?
https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/wing-pipi ... 8369m.html
Milly: 1957 four-door-saloon, 948cc. Moved to Hamburg 2008, off the road 2012, finally back May 2021.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRIS-MINOR ... Swy0JaFwPZ

Other colours available from 'e' bay.