Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dockerman
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

fitting splitscreen

Post by dockerman »

well i had 3 attempts at fitting the splitscreen and still no luck so i ended up asking for help from the north east classic car club and a guy called paddy came to help me so we fitted the splitscreen only to find out it was the seal that was at fault the grooves in the seal are not deep enough to seal around the bodywork it keeps on popping off just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and is it worth getting another seal
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: fitting splitscreen

Post by RobThomas »

Mine fitted just fine. Didn't take a lot of effort to get it in but I know that others have had to make heavy-duty tooling to force the glass in. I'd guess it must be a problem in the moulding of the seal.

What technique are you using to get it in? I ran red rubber grease (I think) round the metal frame and assembled the glass in the rubber with lubricated plastic washing line in the groove to pup the seal round the bodywork, if that makes sense.

There are some good threads on here about the different methods. The video from Molenaar makes it look sooooo easy.
Cardiff, UK
dockerman
Minor Friendly

Post by dockerman »

Hi Rob
The guy who came to help me was an ex windscreen fitter and has done a few before he used the same tools as you and still couldn't get it to fit in the top and sides of the body work the seal kept on springing off,the new glass was the same size and thickness as the old glass .who did you buy you seal from
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I bought it from a car show a few years ago. Can't remember the makers' name. UK product.

The trick I found helpful was to not fit the centre pillar so the glass/rubber went in easily and then wedged the panes apart with wooden blocks. Did you have the joint at the top? Easy to try to fit it upside-down.
Cardiff, UK
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

I remember it being a nightmare! Started a post on it some time back.
I put the two screens in then pulled the panes outward with ratchet straps to give the space for the centre pillar.
Used plenty of nuetral cure silicone on all faces and also used it for holding in the trim.
Doesn't leak and looks fine!
Rear window was a piece of winkle.

Alan
dockerman
Minor Friendly

Post by dockerman »

Thanks for the comments lads we tried the joint both ways but could find no difference we had a cut down centre post between the glass and fitted it whole,the bottom went in no problem but sides and top just sprung out all the time so its back to the drawing board
WPR678B
Minor Legend

Post by WPR678B »

I have also recently had problems with the rubbers and have tried one from each of the usual suppliers and the Charles Ware's one was the best fit, although still not perfect, much better than all the others!
I guess they probably all come from one source/supplier so it may just be the luck of the draw? :roll: