Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
parkview094
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

MM Boot Handle

Post by parkview094 »

As long as we've owned our '53 MM, the boot handle hasn't worked properly. One lazy afternoon, I ordered myself a new assembly and finally thought I'd have a go at fitting it today.

I really should have checked before, but today I discovered that the existing handle on the car is actually a later type. As far as I can tell, the only difference is that the series MM handle I ordered has screw holes, whereas the later type (and the type I currently have) have integrated bolts.

So, this may be a dumb question, but what secures the earlier MM type handles to the boot lid? I was going to buy some chrome machine screws - but there doesn't appear to be anything from stopping someone from just unscrewing the lock assembly from the outside in that case.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Re: MM Boot Handle

Post by SteveClem »

Minors and security...hmm. Austins are even worse,you can slide the windows up and down from the outside.
Kew
MMOC Member: No

Post by Kew »

The two countersunk screws that secure the handle have nuts on the back inside the boot lid by the lock on the early boot handles.
WPR678B
Minor Legend

Post by WPR678B »

Kew wrote:The two countersunk screws that secure the handle have nuts on the back inside the boot lid by the lock on the early boot handles.
Yes, captive nuts so the external screws CAN just be unscrewed, but the originals had a large headed screw in the end of the square shaft so you couldn't just pull it out and the screwed on casting has lugs on the side so it cannot be turned, even if unscrewed. :wink:
parkview094
Minor Friendly

Post by parkview094 »

WPR678B wrote: Yes, captive nuts so the external screws CAN just be unscrewed, but the originals had a large headed screw in the end of the square shaft so you couldn't just pull it out and the screwed on casting has lugs on the side so it cannot be turned, even if unscrewed. :wink:
Ah! That explains it! Thank you.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

boot2.jpg
boot2.jpg (95.97 KiB) Viewed 1891 times
Cardiff, UK