Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

What Polish ?

Post by firedrake1942 »

As the National Rally approaches and not wishing Neddy to disgrace herself in what is usually such august company, I really ought to give her a thorough wash. What polish do people recommend ?
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: What Polish ?

Post by palacebear »

Max had a cheap re-spray some years ago and has microblistered extensively. I keep him looking his best with Autoglym. He gets washed frequently and I usually only wash with warm water, no shampoo etc., just a good quality sponge. I used to use Mer polish on my Austin A50. It worked very well, so might try it on Max later this week if the weather cools down a bit.
1956 4-door called Max
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

That is the real problem at the moment. I am also using Autoglym but was considering getting the super stuff they make. Problem with the heat is that the 'panel at a time' method doesn't work, by the time I have put the polish on it has hardened immediately. Bloody hard work ! but better than the old turtlewax I used 20 years ago.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

I'd never use wax polish now. Quite apart from the excessive elbow-grease, I eventually found, on the Austin A50 (Tweed Grey) that it was developing a yellowish tint. Had to spend a weekend attacking it with T-cut then converted to Autoglym or Mer (when I could afford it!). Haven't tried the 'super' Autoglym yet. I never do 'panel at a time'. Roof for example gets done in six overlapping sections. When the whole car has been polished and buffed out, I do a last buff'n'shine of the whole thing with a new yellow household duster.
1956 4-door called Max
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Not heard of Mer but it does not look that dear. £8.99 for 500ml. My dad taught me the panel at a time technique although the roof gets treated as two panels, (overlapping) as does the bonnet.
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

I'm a great fan of Carnuba Wax... great shine and the rain droplets form beads of water which run straight off the bodywork.
Simoniz do it in Liquid or hard wax form and Meguiar's do it in liquid ( Deep Crystal Step 3 ).
Every body has got their favourite.
A bit too hot for polishing at the moment in the South East. I nearly burnt my hand when I went to rest against the car yesterday.
Bob
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Ditto, I have thoroughly washed and dried (?) but polish is impossible. Maybe I will get up at sparrowfart tomorrow and do it .
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Before polishing the car, buy yourself a Clay Bar kit and clean it with that first, it will remove all the road grime then polish the car. The difference is like night and day plus it makes polishing the car easier too.
As a test run your fingertips over a panel before claying the car and then after to feel the real difference.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

Over the years I have tried everything from Autoglym to Mer, Turtle Wax etc etc and the only one I now use is Asda's own "Fast wax". It has carnauba wax and is easy to use and leaves no white residue and it's much cheaper than the posh makes.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Now that is interesting! The white residue really pees me off. It gets everywhere, in the Minor1000 badges, bonnet motif, tyre valves. I will give it a go!

Many thanks
BLOWNMM
Minor Fan

Post by BLOWNMM »

My brother in law had a buisness detailing cars and he used an old soft toothbrush to remove the white residue from arount badges etc.
Bob
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Ypp, me too but i always miss a bit.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I agree with Mogbob. Carnaubia wax gives a rich shine and fantastic water beading. I use Simoniz hard wax. It is hard work and needs to be wax on/off very quickly in small areas, which does take hours. However, the results last for months on end. You can wash in between waxing with carnaubia wax shampoo, which helps top the shine up.
Last edited by myoldjalopy on Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Asda only had a very limited stock of carnubia wax shampoo and no separate polish so it is back to the autoglym and the toothbrush when the temperature drops a bit
Tea
Minor Fan

Post by Tea »

I washed our car on Sunday evening, clay barred it in the garage on my day off yesterday and started the waxing yesterday evening once the sun had gone behind the trees. It's now covered in our garage waiting for the sun to go behind the trees again at about 8pm to finish the waxing.
Our paint is still good so never polish, just clay bar using autoglym rapid detailer as the lubricant followed by Autoglym high definition wax. It costs quite a bit for the wax but gives a nice deep, glassy finish and the tub lasts for ages 8)
burnham28
Minor Fan

Post by burnham28 »

The toothbrush is a great idea. She will never know I've used her electric one.
[img]jpg[/img]
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

My God! you are either courageous or completely bonkers or indeed both. The wrath of a woman whose electric tooth brush has been misused has to be seen to be believed. I hope you get away with it! If not, nice to have known you, however briefly !
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Something to be said about dentures then?
Going back to polish though,I reckon it may be less about brands and more about the temperature and levels of sunlight when you do the job.
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

I have also used Wilkinsons own brand of "fast wax" and it's also as good as the posh ones . Oh and by the way both cheapo brands last for ages with good water beading , wash after wash. I still have a number of posh brands in my garage but I only use the cheapos nowadays as it's quick to apply, even in warm weather , leaves no white residue, gives a deep shine / luster and continues to bead the water for a long time after application. The neighbours have often commented on the shine of the car when I'm polishing it and they can't believe it's a cheap brand until I show them the bottle.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

I got up almost at Sparrowfart to avoid the heat and finally plumped for Autoglym Deep shine. It is allegedly formulated for darker coloured cars and has certainly made a difference to my Clarendon Grey car. Cheaper in my local motor factors (£14.47) than on the autoglym site and I used very little.

It does exactly what it says on the tin, but the toothbrush had to be used on badges due to white residue in the cracks between panels and exterior trim.

Looks very good and when I covered it over with the cotton cloths, they kept sliding off, it was so smooth - just like me (NOT!)
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_280.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_280.jpeg (15.94 KiB) Viewed 3287 times