Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Oldmogman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Two-door passenger lock removal puzzle

Post by Oldmogman »

Could anyone share some tips on removing a passenger-side lock from a two-door?

I've checked the manual, removed all the securing bolts and the little horseshoe spring clip, but the 'L' shaped internal locking lever/handle thingy doesn't seem to want to come out.

I can see a tiny pin on the shaft of the locking lever, which seems to be the only thing stopping it being removed, but it doesn't look like the pin comes out - let alone how I'd get to it!

Am I missing something? (I'm assuming it's not possible to remove the lock with the inside locking lever still in place?)

Are there mystical incantations to chant while performing strange rituals, perhaps?

cheers

Paul
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Re: Two-door passenger lock removal puzzle

Post by Mark Wilson »

From memory, you need to drift the little pin out with a small screwdriver, drill bit or whatever, its just an interference fit.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

The pin should push in and the lever should slide out, as Marks says a small screwdriver or similar should do to push it in.

Too many Minors so little time.....
Oldmogman
Minor Fan

Post by Oldmogman »

So that little pin does come out?! Fiendish!

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Paul
plumby74
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by plumby74 »

Do not recall the locking swivel-lever having any other retainer: just the wishbone clip did that.

I attach a loop to the wishbone clip (for the future) after which with a bit of swivelling the lever comes out and so the handle assembly can be removed, after it's bolts are dealt-with. Good luck!
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

The retaining pin on the locking lever does not "come out", it is spring loaded, so you push the pin into the lever and then pull the lever out. When refitting, make sure that the pin pops out correctly.
plumby74
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by plumby74 »

We may both be right re the passenger-side locking lever.
I have seven of those genuine levers here, and only ONE has the spring-loaded pin as an additional retainer to keep it in the lock.
Finding the (untagged) wishbone clip is hard enough - working almost blind inside the door with thin/nosey pliers!
Then inserting some small tool to push in the spring-ball must have been very trying for even the BMC-trained mechanics.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Im fairly certain that the wishbone type is fitted to doors with no external lock and the pin type to later locks with a key on the outside.

I know I had great trouble finding a replacement of the early types after putting the original away so safely that Ive still never found it.... :-?

Too many Minors so little time.....