Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
olderisbetter
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Traveller seat issues

Post by olderisbetter »

I was in the passenger seat a few days ago and the seat leaned back and stayed there, I think the frame is bent up but not broken, The padding and webbing looks and feels like it needs a refurb so i am going to tackle both seats, I know it will take quite a bit of time so i am going to put other seats in, The traveller is a 58 so i am looking to find what seats will fit from other minors, are the 2 door from around the same time the same and is the traveller back seat just for that model, Thanks Rob.

don58van
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Traveller seat issues

Post by don58van »

are the 2 door from around the same time the same
Yes. In fact you could fit earlier or later ones too. They may look a bit different, but they mount the same way and have roughly the same geometry.
is the traveller back seat just for that model
Yes.

I hope the refurb of the seats goes well.

Don
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by palacebear »

Rob. You may also find that some 4-door front seats will do the job. IIRC 4-door cars had tipping/folding front seats until early 1958. If you're fussy about accuracy in the short term, they're a different shape (similar to S-2 seats) but you're maybe more likely to find some in maroon with cream/grey piping, which if memory serves, will match the rest of your interior.
Tom.
1956 4-door called Max
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

If your traveller still has its original seats, the passenger seat will have a folding frame. I would guess that something in the frame has broken rather than simply bent, but it might be repairable - otherwise, finding a replacement frame shouldn't be TOO difficult and the webbing straps and cushions are readily available and replacing them makes a HUGE difference. It isn't a difficult job and is well worthwhile.

In the meantine, the original seats out of ANY Minor or Minor 1000 will fit into the floor mountings so you don't have to worry to much about specification. The folding passenger seat (in Traveller and 2door models) lasted until late 1964) and they do improve access to the rear as well as provide a more versatile load space of course.

The Rear seat in the Traveller will indeed only fit the Traveller. The saloon seats are completely different.
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

Thanks all, They are the original seats which look leather and the stitching is failing, The frame is the folding type and i love the design so want to keep that, The only spare seats i have are blue vinyl from a later car but i can put some seat covers on till i get the old ones sorted.

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

OIB

This is quite a good guide to seat styles although there are exceptions as Palacebear says. Mine is a 1957 but has late S2 seats in (from new)

http://www.morrisminor.org.uk/parts/133 ... rim-styles