Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Osmo Oil - new woodwork

Post by Mark Wilson »

I've decided to use Osmo oil as the finish to my new woodwork, partly as a result of the opinions on here and partly because I've been very impressed with it as the finish to my oak hallway floor for around ten years.

Technical question for those who have used it. Steve Foreman, and Lindsay Porter before him, recommend painting the inner unseen surfaces with a suitable oil paint. Have you painted over the Osmo, and has the paint bonded ok to the oiled surface? Or have you left these surfaces unoiled?

Incidentally, I'm still at the preservative stage. I found an old tin of clear Cuprinol and used this for the first coat, followed up by several coats of new clear Cuprinol. What a difference between the old and the new! The new water based product is much pleasanter to use, virtually odourless, where the old spirit based smelled lethal. I suspect I know which version is more effective, though.......

Mark
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Osmo Oil - new woodwork

Post by philthehill »

Years ago woodwork that was not going to be seen was painted with real Red Lead paint. That wood never rotted but its application addled the brain :wink:

Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

I grew up with lead water pipes, leaded petrol, lead paint, even lead toy soldiers. Now what was the question again? :-?
danmux
MMOC Member: No

Post by danmux »

This thread is really interesting - not least to see the colour over time...

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/exte ... 59500.html

Talking of lead and the more potent past: Woodies add a loose sheet into their instructions (which are a cut down version of the book) that says:
"Since Sikkens have had to alter the solvents due to health and safety we are finding the Filter 7 top coat is not as durable and our finish of choice is Sikkens basecoat followed by the varnish top coat"
For info, they say they:
"We tend to use Blackfriars Exterior Gloss mixed with 10% Owatrol oil paint conditioner"
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Interesting indeed! The test seems to prove mainly that the piece which started darkest fared best. I'm really after as light a finish as I can, but with reasonable durability. The car will be garaged and I've enough time on my hands to top up the Osmo regularly, so fingers crossed. ....