Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
quee2646
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Cracking/flaking paint

Post by quee2646 »

Hello,

A bit of the painted part of the rear bumper on my car is cracked and starting to peel off. It's been like this for years, but it only took a splash of water the other day to take off a flake of paint. It seems to be rusting underneath.

I see no need to replace anything yet, but what are your recommendations? Should I apply Hammerite or something similar to slow down the rusting process?

Thank you.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Cracking/flaking paint

Post by firedrake1942 »

You do not say which part of the valence is affected. A piccie is worth a hundred words.

If it is adjacent to or carries on under the chrome blade, I would have the blade off (good luck with the chrome bolts - some soaking may assist) rub down to bare metal, treat, prime and paint. Much non accident corrosion actually starts from the bolt holes and moves out.

Whilst it is not a critical or structural part, if left, it will get worse and if you simply treat the bit you can see, it will continue to rust under the blade. I have seen blades removed from valences which are badly corroded.

A look at the images on this topic

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=66282&p=608103&hili ... rs#p608103

will show what state they can get into although none appear beyond salvage. If beyond repair, many recommend glass fibre bumper blades, although for me they are quite thick in places , but may be a cheaper alternative to steel.

When reassembling treat the inside of the blade and grease all bolts. Much easier to get off for next time!
kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kennatt »

if you are not to bothered about the look,for the time being,and intend to sort it out in the future,the main objective it to prevent further rusting,scrape off the flaking paint so you can see where the rust is and treat it with a rust converter ,many on the market,and slap paint on top. then you may save the panel
quee2646
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by quee2646 »

Thanks for your suggestions.

I think I'll make do with the rust converter for now. Not overly bothered about looks!