Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Door Drain Holes

Post by myoldjalopy »

My door bottoms were repaired a couple of years ago but I noticed today that the drain holes seem to be blanked off above the hole. There must have been some space between the bottom of the door and whatever is blanking the hole above, as I can see where the waxoyl dribbled out a bit, but there is no way to poke even a tiny screwdriver up and I fear the waxoyl will have clogged up any space between the door bottom and the plate above the holes so that water cannot drain out. My first thought is to drill through the blanking 'plate' above each hole, but advice/comments gratefully received before I rush out to the attack!
les
Minor Maniac

Re: Door Drain Holes

Post by les »

Sounds like the repair may have involved leaving the original door bottoms in place. I seem to recall not having drains in my cills when replacing them. I had the view that if any water did get in it would stay there regardless unless the water was directly over any drain hole, it would hardly run straight to the nearest exit! I just used waxoyl and made sure water couldn't get in. Maybe just rely on the waxoyl in your doors, although I accept keeping water out of doors is not easy.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Hi Les,
Yes, the waxoyl will be a help but the holes are at the lowest part of the door bottom and, if clear, water would run about as the car moves (cornering etc.) and most come through the holes, if they were unobstructed. Really hard to keep water out of a Minor door - the door bottoms are a typical rust area.
Can someone check what their holes are like (e.g. size of open aperture), maybe even post up a pic or two? Really keen to prevent rust creeping back into the door bottoms now they are in such good condition. Thanks.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Yes I guess the doors are a different proposition, if no one beats me to it, I'll get a picture next time I'm with the van

KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

Of the four drain holes on my 1959 Traveller I can get the end of a cable tie up 3 of them. The fourth I can't really. I only have one photo to hand which shows a drain hole, and then not very well (although you can just see the beginnigs of rust). I will try and take some more.

Waxoyl can cause more problems than it solves with doors because it is so 'sticky' and doesn't flow freely into all the cracks and gaps between panels and can block drain holes. The chap who services the Traveller has the bottom of a Morris door hanging on his wall which was Waxoyled. The steel where the Waxoyl could reach is fine, but the bottom inch or two is rusty because the Waxoyl didn't penetrate that far and had to be replaced. I now always use dinitrol ML instead, which is much runnier and gets everywhere (sometime literally). Squirt it up every drain hole and then be amazed as to where it dribbles out from (put newspaper down first).
Attachments
DSC02140.JPG
DSC02140.JPG (950.1 KiB) Viewed 1942 times

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Thin the Waxol to watery consistency with white spirit and it will flow into those area normal Waxol will not reach.
Lots of thin coats/applications are better than one thick coat/application that will not flow into the gaps between the panel folds/welds.
My Minor has had applications of waste oil and paraffin sprayed inside the chassis legs and panels virtually since new and the chassis is excellent.
May cause a bit of a mess whilst it drains out but hey it stops the rust and that is all that matters. :D :D

RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

You can heat the Waxoyl in a saucepan. It doesn't seem to burn quite as readily as I was expecting for a Parafin-based chemical. Becomes very runny.
Cardiff, UK
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Rob
The problem with heating the Waxol is that it will start to solidify as soon as it hits the cold metal.
Only thinning it with white spirit will get it into the places you want it.
Phil

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

OK, thanks for all your replies and the photo.......I will have another good look at my door bottoms and probably get the drill out - I want any water that gets in to be able to drain out quickly...........
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by firedrake1942 »

If you get the drill out, for F**ks sake put a limiter on the bit. drain holes in the underside are a good thing, ventilation holes in the door skin are less desirable, I have seen it done !
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Ouch! :o Yes, thank you, 'firedrake', for your most eloquent and valuable advice. I don't think I would have been that careless, although I have to admit that scenario had not crossed my mind and - accidents will happen! I will be careful!