Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Ceejay
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

SMM high light short/long bonnet ??

Post by Ceejay »

Hi all,
I'm looking at a SMM tourer which seems to be an early high light version being from 1951.

The Car No. is SMM/ 123855

My question is, should this car have a short bonnet or a long bonnet ?

Are there definitive car numbers between which the SMM high light was produced with the short bonnet ?

Thanks
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: SMM high light short/long bonnet ??

Post by myoldjalopy »

According to Ray Newell's book, the short bonnet was discontinued in August 1951, so for the rest of that year the long bonnet was used. Assuming you are looking at a RHD model, the short bonnet was discontinued at car no. 109699, which would suggest your car should be a long bonnet model, produced between August and December 1951 . The answer to your question "Are there definitive car numbers between which the SMM high light was produced with the short bonnet ?" will depend on whether it is a 2-door/tourer or 4-door, as high headlamps were introduced at different times for the different versions.
smithskids
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: SMM high light short/long bonnet ??

Post by smithskids »

My MM is SMM 971** 15th May 1951 tourer and has a short bonnet if that is any help. It left the factory as a high light but was converted to a low light by Stuart & Arden to match the rest of the fleet before delivery to Rentokil in East Grinsted :D