Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jpallis001
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Convertible hood safety catch

Post by jpallis001 »

Hi, has anyone found a good 'safety catch' that can be used to secure the front of the hood in the event of the two front fixing wingnuts failing to hold the hood down?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: Convertible hood safety catch

Post by ManyMinors »

No, but I've never known the wingnuts to fail in 45years of ownership. What happened to yours :-?
They DO have to be tightened up securely.
jpallis001
Minor Friendly

Post by jpallis001 »

Hi, mine has also behaved itself for many years but some years back I joined the MOT tour and was surprised at the number of members who had tales to tell of fly-away hoods. Since then I have always used tie-downs on each side of the screen. I was hoping to find a more elegant solution.
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IaininTenbury »

Must be a problem of not pulling the header rail down far enough for the wing bolts to engage with the notch which I suppose is possible especially with a new tight hood.
If concerned, you could look at 'overcentre catches' form the Vintage supplies and kitcar market. Maybe somthing suitable there....
I generally have the hood down on mine anyway, regardless - its what its for! Though I have encountered several bent hood frames over the years which look like they've had the problem.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!