Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
welltravellered
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Traveller rear inertia seat belts

Post by welltravellered »

Just looking at the Traveller rear seat belts on the Bull Motif website and it says that modification is required. Does anyone know what the modifications are? I guess this topic has been covered before but a quick search of the forum hasn't revealed anything.
Morris Minor Traveller with 1.6 Suzuki Liana engine and Jimny 5 speed gearbox. MGB axle and Marina/MGB front brakes.
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Traveller rear inertia seat belts

Post by simmitc »

The normal fitting is slightly to the rear of top of the back wheel arch for the reel and the buckle fixes to the floor pan under the seat base. Both fittings are with bolts, but it is essential that the mounting areas are reinforced. It is possible to get plates with captive buts, and these or similar should be welded to the fixing area.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Are the benefits of seatbelts in a classic car real or psychological? Discuss...
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

They prevent your vintage Sirram picnic basket, your Roberts radio and your tartan travel rug getting damaged :lol:
1956 4-door called Max
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Yes, I get that...
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Seat belts were never factory fitted to the rear seats of a Minor whether it be a car or traveller so what ever and however you fit the seat belts you will not be doing it to a known and accepted standard.
All you can do is make sure that the seat belt anchorages are as strong and robust as possible and the metal surrounding the anchorages is sound.
Below are the types of mounting plate for use in fitting seat belt anchorage points.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIA-MSA-Appr ... SweNNZmCSk

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-AUST ... SwE8daX1fN

If you can sandwich the Minor floor pan / body panel between the seat belt mounting plate and a top plate so much the better.
You can bolt or weld the mounting plate and top plate in place.

neilmorey
Minor Fan

Post by neilmorey »

I did this last year, I bought Securon 264 belts from KCP. Have a look on their website and should be a big saving, they are seat belt suppliers so must get bulk discounts.
http://shop.kcpcarandcommercial.co.uk/e ... at%20Belts"

There are maybe two things that they are referring to as modifications. There is a redundant top fixing that can be cut off or just left in place, does no harm but not useful either. The reel also needs to be adjusted to suit the final fixing position, just a screwdriver adjustment so an arrow points vertically upwards, nice and simple.

I'd suggest getting a step drill bit for the mounting holes as they need to be a reasonable size.

The reinforcing plates can be picked from various sources at very differing costs, think I used Europa Spares but shop around and find a reputable supplier.

Nice simple job and there is a good guide on another less frequented minor forum.
welltravellered
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by welltravellered »

Just a quick update. I ordered 2 seat belts from Bull Motif as I was getting some other parts anyway. They included 6 of the mounting reinforcement plates as in the link above. These definitely aren't part of the securon kit, so that's a nice touch by Bull Motif.
Morris Minor Traveller with 1.6 Suzuki Liana engine and Jimny 5 speed gearbox. MGB axle and Marina/MGB front brakes.
CMee

Post by CMee »

I'm part way through restoring my 1968 Traveller and am intending to fit new rear seat belts. At the moment I'm replacing the long, triangular N/S wheel-arch panel and was about to weld on a new mounting plate on the underside.

When I started measuring up the off side to determine the location for the bolt hole for the belts fitted previously, it seemed to me that it is rather a long way back. I'm sure I would have been following the installation instructions but I'm wondering whether the hole should be closer to to top of the wheel-arch.

Where have others fitted the rear-mount for rear seat belts in a traveller?
20240307_161649b.jpg
20240307_161649b.jpg (476.3 KiB) Viewed 315 times
The photo shows one of the mounting plates I'll be fitting (on the underside) sitting over the existing hole in the off-side. I guess that, in that position, any loading from the seat belt is in shear, almost at right angles to the bolt's axis. If it is mounted too close to the back of the seat, any loading will put the bolt in tension and possibly be more likely to pull through.

Final question: The area of the square base plate is aleady larger than the original round spreader plate supplied with the belts. Has anyone added an additional, larger spreader plate as this wheel-arch panel is not as thick as the metal where the original front belts are mounted.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Colin
Attachments
20240307_161649b.jpg
20240307_161649b.jpg (476.3 KiB) Viewed 315 times