Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jpallis001
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Alternative steering wheels

Post by jpallis001 »

Hi, has anyone come across a 15" steering wheel that looks more like the original 'banjo' wheel than most of the 'sporty' wheels that are available?

Has anyone modified an original wheel to take a smaller rim? Would that be possible/wise?
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Alternative steering wheels

Post by palacebear »

I can't imagine it's easy to modify a banjo (or any other type) of wheel to reduce its diameter.

Try asking this company (with whom I have no ties or affiliation, and no experience of their products):

http://www.steeringwheelrestoration.co.uk

They also manufacture steering wheels so they may at least be able to give you some pointers.
1956 4-door called Max
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

I would also like to fit a smaller and/or more dished solid spoke wheel to my 67 traveller so that I can get my long legs in more easily. But I’d like it to look just like the original, horn press and all.

I stand to be corrected, but I don’t think such a thing exists, off the shelf.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

I know of a couple of cases where owners have taken a 'banjo-style' Minor steering wheel and fabricated a smaller diameter wooden rim. For example, here is a posting from the Morris Downunder website.

I made my own. It's a standard Minor center and spokes. I then took a late model standard wheel (Mazda something I think?) and cut off everything but the steel rim. I drilled for the minor spokes, fitted them and peened them over.
Then I made up a wood rim of plywood (5 ply), three layers, solid rings top and bottom and a middle layer set up to accommodate the steel rim and the spokes.
Fill the whole lot with Liquid Nails, clamp it all together, leave for a week. Then get the wood rasp out and go for it.
After about a week of sanding, finish with stain and Marine grade clear.
It looks ok, (but I think it needs a rub down) but it feels great.

I will see if I can find some pictures. Obviously, any home-modified wheel would need to place a premium on safety.

I have bought a commercially-available 14'' wheel that has spokes that are sort-of reminiscent of the Minor banjo wheel. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STEERING-WH ... 2a9e7df7f6

Here is another option for those with plenty of cash to splash out:
GrantSpokeSWheel.jpg
GrantSpokeSWheel.jpg (67.52 KiB) Viewed 2145 times
It is a US Grant wheel.

Don
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

That looks really nice. But the advantage of the big wheel is that the minor feels power assisted even when it isn't !
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Lowering the steering column by a 1" at the under dash mounting bracket makes all the difference.

midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Phil, does lowering the wheel by an inch necessitate relieving a small amount from the entry hole in the floor please? Would like to do this but not keen to risk either stressing the rack pinion or ingress of weather!
John
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

John
Lowering the steering rack does not require making the hole in the floor larger.
No stresses are transferred to the rack.
To lower the steering column - slacken off the two rack clamps - make up a 1" spacer to go between the existing column bracket under the dash - all I have done is sandwich the dash metal with flat alloy plate, with an alloy plate on the top of the existing column bracket, two long bolts pass through the column bracket, then the column bracket plate, then two self locking nuts, then another two nuts, then the under dash plate, then the dash, then the upper dash plate and finally two self locking nuts. Tighten loosely with a final tighten after the rack clamp bolts have been fully tightened.
When all in place tighten the two steering rack clamps, the tracking does not changes nor is the position of the rack across the body altered.
The steering column is ridged and once lowered it does not move in any plane.
With the new felt seal at the bottom of the column the weather will not come through the hole. The arc of the steering rack pinion has changed very little in relation to the floor.
Phil

midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Ok, thanks for reassurance. I'll sort some alloy block and continue. Just fitted new bottom seal and thought it looked a little close to panel edge.
John