Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
GavinL
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Grille top trim repair

Post by GavinL »

Stripping the front grille, three of the fixings for the top chrome strip are missing - one existing and one missing shown below :
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 1172 times
Any suggestions on how to repair this without having to rechrome? Would attaching a replacement with a MIG welder work, if done with care, or an epoxy metal?
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Re: Grille top trim repair

Post by ian.mcdougall »

I think the moulding is an alloy so mig will not work i think. you will have to try and drill out the stub of the thread and re-tap a thread but dont go too deep. or buy a good secondhand one or a new one.

don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

Most are alloy (Mazak?) but yours looks like steel.
Perhaps you can check with a magnet and get back to us.

Don
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

1/16" (1.56mm) chromed steel. The original fixings appear to be bolts welded to the trim, but don't appear to ever have been chromed, so they must have been attached post chroming?
don58van
Minor Addict

Post by don58van »

Then welding on a small block of steel would be possible, but I think it would be tricky and possible that the chrome would be burnt off the surrounding area. You would also have to be careful of distortion.

I have seen quite a few examples where the owner has drilled a hole right through the trim and fitted a bolt through the front. Some done this way look messy, but if the hole was slightly countersunk and a raised head countersunk chromed (or SS) bolt was used, it could look quite neat (certainly better that having the chrome burnt off).

Many people claim 'miracles' with epoxy metal (JB Weld?), but I am not in a position to comment.

All the best with your repair.

Don
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

Don, yes my thoughts too about the welding ( although I might experiment with a scrap Midget half bumper I've got) and if that doesn't work I'll drill and tap ( 2BA I think) and if I use stainless steel and finish the stud flush with the trim it shouldn't be noticeable.
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

Decided to have a go at this today. Practiced first on an old scrap bumper, which worked ok, so proceeded to the Minor trim. Used a 2BA caphead screw, turned the head down to remove the finish and knurling, clamped to the trim with a slab of copper behind to help dissipate the heat and applied the MIG. Very slight heat marks to the front, but generally I'm pleased with the result.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (33.2 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (36.68 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (30.77 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (34.12 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
les
Minor Maniac